Join a PC network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XReader, Apr 26, 2008.

1. XReader macrumors newbie

Trying to join a PC network so I can share files on my MacBook. The machines are connecticut via a wireless router. MacBook sees PC just fine, and retrieving files from PC fabulously, but not the other way around. Is there a piece of software I need to download or something?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You need to enable System Preferences>Sharing>Windows Sharing (Tiger), or System Preferences>Sharing>File Sharing>Options>SMB (Leopard).

3. XReader thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. Tried that before, but did not work. The PC network is peer to peer with defined workgroup. MacBook does not show up in the workgroup. There is no setting for entering workgroup either.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. XReader thread starter macrumors newbie

directory.app asks for a server. Again, it's a simply peer to peer pc workgroup. There are no servers. P2P workgroup is only available on Win2K and on. I am using Leopard by the way if that makes a difference.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you install WinSCP on the PC and enable System Preferences>Sharing>Remote Access on the Mac (and note the IP address) that will work.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Make sure the correct workgroup name is entered in the Mac's network prefpane on the WINS tab.

In the sharing prefpane, go to file sharing and click 'options' Make sure that 'share files using SMB' is checked and that the correct account is enable for sharing.

Your Windows PCs should now see the Mac. If they still don't see the mac, and you're sure that all machines are operating on the same subnet, try connecting to the Mac using an IP address. If you can, then there's something screwy wrong with your workgroup setup. If you can't, then you need to look at sharing and your basic network configuration again.

8. XReader thread starter macrumors newbie

I update SMB settings the best I could, and I can't find the settings for Workgroup. I also don't see this Mac's network on the prefpane that you are talking about. WINS tab? That's sounds like a PC setting. This is not my first time setting a PC network (P2P, domain server or otherwise, my knowledge on PC is quite extensive). I know the settings on my PC site are good. I just need to how to set up the Mac side.

There is gotta be some direct setting somewhere. Steve Jobs usually tries to keep things simple, but if I need to load a decent Mac software, I have no problems with that.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Frankly this is Microsoft's crappy networking at fault here. The WinSCP method WILL work however unless something really weird is going on.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, bad info on my part.

The correct app (which I am sure you figured out) is "Directory Utility.app" (still not used to Leopard). And of course, you are correct, that functionaility has been taken out of Leopard. Which I am still not used to.