Join multiple networks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tech198, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi all.

Can you join multiple networks with or via the airport express?

I have an apple tv as a stand alone network got my Apple tv, but while AP streams via ITunes, I'd also like to have Internet connectivity which requires my other network. Both the Airport Express & my router use septate WPA2 passwords.

Is it somehow possible to stream to the apple tv via the eithernet port of the airport express, thus keeping the airport on the Mac kept free to connect to the home router for intrnet use.?

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Sure, you can run an ethernet cable to your Macbook and gain network access that way. Or, you can could use a USB wifi adapter and join the second network that way.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

How would this be done on MacBook and/or airport express?

4. PAPO macrumors 6502

as is no apple computer can join multiple wifi networks at once, with to me seems a bit silly, with the MIMO technology REQUIRED for 802.11n you would think unless you are using a true n network you could join more than one g network

5. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

joining ?

So basically, my router and airport would need to be using the same credentials ?

If this is the case, would it be extending or join an existing network ?

Based on the manual, I think extending would use WDS (which basically mean WEP security) it would decrease m network as a whole.

Also, am I correct in that it has to be another Apple product, not third party router?

Finally, with both of though two a possibly, out, what other choices would i have to make this work?

I don't mind using a 20 character pass mix of letters and numbers as this is what i now decided with my ATV anyway. It just trying to stream content to, AND access internet on the mac and/or ATV via the airport express at the same time.

This is all based on the assumption that all of this is wireless. As my DSL is is another room in the house. and not possible via cable.

6. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4