Join upgrade program or buy upfront?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr913, Sep 7, 2016.

1. sr913 macrumors newbie

There seem to be a few threads from existing iPhone users already in the upgrade program and wondering whether/how to exercise their option, but I have a different question.

I'm not a current iPhone user. I'm considering buying the 7 but would like to be able to sell it and get next year's version if Apple releases something that's a huge leap forward. My current (non-Apple) phone is 5 y.o. and barely functional, so I can't wait.

How would buying the 7 upfront at full price and hoping to sell it later compare to joining the upgrade program?

FWIW, I'm looking at the regular 7 (not Plus) matte black 32 GB version with T-Mobile.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The upgrade program is a point blank convenience. You're forced to enroll in Spple care, a $50 loss per year (unless it's something you out value to and want) and you lose 50% of the msrp of the phone st the end of the year.

Selling it third party generally nets you more back, especially if no Apple care, but the question is how UCC is your time worth to you? I don't sell stuff like this online since the potential headache is more than I'm willing to deal with. Online is the best return. Here near Boston you wouldn't be able to sell for too much more then Apple will take it back for. Figure about 40% depreciation.

3. sr913 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if you buy now and join the upgrade program, and Apple releases an amazing courageous iPhone 8 next September that's bulletproof and allows time travel, what are the economics if one trades in? Is the following accurate?

-$50/year for Applecare (though you get Applecare)
    -$325 (or 50% the price of the phone - but this goes up to 100% if you wait 12 months later, right?)
    What about the discrepancy in price between what you trade in and trade for?
    Are there any other fees?

What if the iPhone 8 isn't so hot? Does one lose out on this program if one keeps their phone or wants to unload it and go back to Android?