Joining a Mavericks Mac to Windows Domain

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chiefbootknock, Apr 28, 2014.

1. chiefbootknock macrumors newbie

Hello

I have a iMac running Mavericks that I want to join to a Windows domain. I have done this in the past with Snow Leopard and didn't have any problems.

What I am seeing (or lack thereof) is that the user is not presented the domain logon box. Is there some sort of interaction that the iMac would have with the Xserve to make this work? Currently the Xserve is on an older version of OS so I can't test anything.

So just to get it out of the way; yes I did bind the machine to the domain, and all that seems good just no logon dialog. Essentially all you get is a single user (admin) logon box.

Thanks for any help...

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

did you select create mobile account on next login in directory utility?

3. chiefbootknock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I appreciate it, but I got this working. Actually it was working all along. It seems that once you bind to the domain, and logout it takes a bit of time for the login window to display a back arrow which will then allow you to input another user. So with that and my DOT1X profile problem being solved I can safely update our MAC's to Mavericks.:)

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

beautiful. glad to hear its working.

you have any issues currently with AD/Mavericks binding?
    any issues with SMB2 servers or fileshares in your environment by chance?

5. chiefbootknock thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen a couple things.

1) I got a "plugin error" when I tried to join that same computer to the domain with a technician admin account. I did not get that with my account. I have domain admin rights, but so does the other account.

2) My Macbook air is not bound to the AD domain, but I can still authenticate. I added some of my essential share drives in the login items, but the path to MY network share does not work.

The format for my share is //network_server/staff$/My_Share. I have added it several times, but when it loads on login it only loads to //network_server/staff$
    When I go to the login items after reboot the SMB magically changes to staff$...the part with my name is backed out automatically by the OS. Also there is a check box to open those items automatically when you logon. I've tried it both checked and not checked and either option opens a window for those drive paths on login which I'd prefer that it didn't do that. Strange.