Joining Apple Developer Program for Class

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by zim, Oct 6, 2011.

1. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Hi.. hopefully this is the right location.

I need to join the Apple Developer program for a class and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the pros and cons to using my current Apple ID or if I should create a new one? If I create a new Apple ID would it screw up my iPad and iPod Touch?—I don't have a dedicated device for the class and I know I can only change IDs... every 30 days?

I should also note that the class is enrolled in the University iOS developer program so I just need the free developer registration.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

You're more likely to have difficulties if you have more than one Apple-ID.

3. xStep macrumors 68000

You Apple ID is not connected to a specific device. The devices you can use you set up in your developer account. I'm not sure what you are talking about changing IDs every 30 days.

I can't recall why, but I did make a separate Apple ID for the paid developer enrollment.

You can register for a free developer account, but you can't distribute your code onto a device, unless you jailbreak it. I'm not familiar with those details. The $99 enrollment allows you up to 100 devices if I recall right.

4. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

The program that the school has is different than the paid iOS development program. As a school they were given a free license for the purpose of teaching—we are allowed to develop and distribute within the class but on the app store nor are we allowed to sell the apps.

I guess what I am asking is as a developer do I need to associate the ID with my device? If so.. as lloyddean stated.. it will cause issues, especially with the new iCloud.. correct?

5. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Personally, I would stick with one Apple ID. Easier for me to keep up with

6. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

Thank you for the replies.. I'll stick with the one ID as suggested.