Joining Spanned DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MusicIsRad, Aug 17, 2007.

1. MusicIsRad macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have two dvd's that are full of HD footage that I need to edit. I'm guessing that whoever created the DVDs spanned the files across the two discs. Whenever I insert the dvds and open them in finder the following files appear:

retrieve.exe
    retrieve.ini
    Autorun.inf
    $OVRSPN$.INF

The second disc also has a .mov file that does not open in quicktime and will not import into Final Cut (I get an error message saying 1 File unknown). I was wondering what app I could use to extract the video files from the DVD. I have Toast 8 but can't figure out how to do it using the program.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I don;t know the specific method used, but almost certainly what you are looking at is a Windows (MS-DOS) archive.spanning situation there.

Perhaps it was created with a Roxio program Easy CD Creator

Google search

The easiest solution may be to restore it to a Windows machine, and then pass it to your Mac via network or portable USB drive.

From another forum:
    "Those cds were burned using a Roxio Easy CD Creator backup utility. In the root of your disc you will find a "retrieve.exe" file. If you run that (preferrably from the first cd) it will launch a program that will enable you to copy those files (from all cds in the set) to another location (your hard drive) where they should be usable."

(this of course has to be done in Windows.)