Joining the G3 people

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chibiterasu, Dec 19, 2016.

1. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

So over the weekend I picked up an iBook G3 14inch 800mhz for not much off that auction site that's like a drug and its in used condition. Having been out bid on a 12inch 500mhz which sold for more than my 14 a couple of weeks ago I'm quite happy.

Anyway it's obviously running OS 9 and is currently installing 10.3 as an upgrade install from 10.2 as OS 9 is just a bootable folder on one partion, is this how it came from Apple?? But I'm pondering to do a clean install at somepoint. Maybe when I can be bothed to take it apart and replace the HDD.

Anyway as spoken about in previous threads 10.3 is meant to run better than 10.4 although this is a realitively high end G3 tha I'm sure could handle it with 640mb of ram (512mb is on the way) but as the G5 has 10.4 & 10.5 on separate HDD's I think I have powerful tiger machine. So this guy is just pure fun with old software and OS 9 games running natively and not in classic mode on the G5. I'm very open to software suggestions as I've not run much OS 9 software (other than the common browser and productivity suites like classisilia and office/Applework)

Thanks for reading a post that was meant to be short :)

2. eyoungren, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

ZZZZZZZZ-snahhhhh-SNORT-ZZZZZZZZ-UHHHHKKKKKKKK-WHA??????!!!!

Oh G3!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:D

Sorry! Not putting your purchase down. It's great that you got a Mac you wanted and I hope it's a good machine.

27193_114354831914878_454132_n.jpg

3. chibiterasu, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

chibiterasu thread starter macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Haha brilliant!!

it's comments like that that keep the community alive :D

Yes exactly like that but the bigger one lol (crappy photo as its dark in here)

image.jpeg

Edit:
    No not at all, I thought it was a great reply! I found it unexpectedly funny!

4. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I think either Tiger or Panther would be ok on this machine, and either one you pick can also run Classic and OS 9, so it's ultimately up to you if you want to try running any Tiger-specific applications, such as TenFourFox. I have a 700 MHz iBook G3 that is running Tiger, but I haven't tried TFF on it yet, but it seems to run alright how it is (except the keyboard smells like feet - I hope yours doesn't suffer from that too!).

5. chibiterasu thread starter macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Yeah I can see why people want to run Tiger on these for the browser options, as this evening I have wanted to use anything else to download software and updates and then transfer them to the ibook but think once software and updates are installed I won't have much use for a browser. It's good to hear that tiger does run alright if I ever go down that road. Ah yes that would be an issue, so I smelt mine and while it doesn't smell great it's not a very strong smell as I can only smell it when my nose is up against a key. (Warning: doing this in public may get you unwanted looks)

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yes, my TiBook is the same. Single partition with OS 9 and OS X 10.1. You can choose which OS to boot from Startup Disk in System Preferences.

I can see why they did it that way as it avoids confusing the non-techies with multiple partitions. Just imagine a relative is using it and you had to explain it disk partitioning! ;)

OS X also uses the OS 9 install for Classic mode.