Joining very large files >2GB?

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
I have a 12GB HDTV clip that I split using Split&Concat into 128MB chunks (to make the best use of the space on 3 DVD-Rs, since Split&Concat didn't handle splitting into chunks >2GB). Unix 'cat' is limited to 2GB. HJSplit seems to be limited to 4GB. Anyone know of any split/join programs that support huge files?

Edit: Just to clarify, I've already split this giant clip, now I want to put it back together by joining the parts.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i dunno if this would help but couldnt you tar it and gzip it in unix?

tar will combine the files and gzip will compress it

tar -czvf name.tgz file1 file2

I think that is the correct format but may not be

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Toast

Super Macho Man said:
I have a 12GB HDTV clip that I split using Split&Concat into 128MB chunks (to make the best use of the space on 3 DVD-Rs, since Split&Concat didn't handle splitting into chunks >2GB). Unix 'cat' is limited to 2GB. HJSplit seems to be limited to 4GB. Anyone know of any split/join programs that support huge files?
Not at all sure if this is what you are looking for but Toast will create an archive and split large files to fit DVDs or CDs... ?? :rolleyes:

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
dukebound85 said:
i dunno if this would help but couldnt you tar it and gzip it in unix?

tar will combine the files and gzip will compress it

tar -czvf name.tgz file1 file2

I think that is the correct format but may not be
That will put them together in a tar archive, but it won't join them back together as far as I know. I have a giant file, split into 2 parts, I simply need to merge the parts back together so that the file is restored to its original form.