Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hi all.

Anyone know of mac software to join video files.

avi and mp4.

I'm wish to join episodes of a TV show together. Can iMovie, or Handbrake do this ?

ANy suggestions? :apple:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi all.

avi and mp4.

I'm wish to join episodes of a TV show together. Can iMovie, or Handbrake do this ?

iMovie reencodes your stuff, which you DO want to avoid, at least with files already using an up-to-date video format (I assume your MP4's are at least H.264 ASP if not AVC).

There are a lot of video joiner apps out there that do NOT reencode. Personally, I used to recommend (before its price went up) iVI. Please see my post at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15394130/

Nevertheless, you can also give a try to the beta version of MP4Tools, in the "Edit files" tab, in the lower right corner. Let me know if you'd prefer this to iVI and I'll seriously test and report on its compliance, stability etc.

treatment

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Save as Quicktime .mov should do the trick.

.mov is a container that will "hold" whatever codec you put into it.

Need Quicktime Pro (I believe).
It's a $30 purchase, and well worth it.

Treatment

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Save as Quicktime .mov should do the trick.

.mov is a container that will "hold" whatever codec you put into it.

Need Quicktime Pro (I believe).
It's a $30 purchase, and well worth it.

Treatment

How will this solve the original problem, that is, joining video files?

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
Quicktime Player 7 is actually quite a powerful little application. You can do far more with it than just playing movies. For example, you can open up several movies, and copy and paste them into each other to create one long movie. Then you can save the resulting movie either as a reference Quicktime, which just points to the original files, or as a self-contained movie, which should be playable anywhere. You can also export the movie to a different format if you need to transcode it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Quicktime Player 7 is actually quite a powerful little application. You can do far more with it than just playing movies. For example, you can open up several movies, and copy and paste them into each other to create one long movie. Then you can save the resulting movie either as a reference Quicktime, which just points to the original files, or as a self-contained movie, which should be playable anywhere. You can also export the movie to a different format if you need to transcode it.

Just tested MP4 joining in QT7 Pro - it indeed works flawlessly, without having to reencode. Sorry - I didn't know it's actually able to export joined videos without reencoding. I had thought it can't.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
You could try doing a file append via terminal's cat command. This is a command line where you type in the files in order with the cat command and then output to a single file. The only caveat is that all the files must be the same kind to work and thus it would be all avi files to build a large single avi file and same with mp4 etc.

debjanimohapatraer

Suspended
Aug 6, 2018
Hi all.

avi and mp4.

iMovie has the function to join video files, but it only import mp4, mov, avchd but not avi.
If you want to join avi and mp4, you may try iDealshare VideoGo for Mac which can join various videos into one.
If you still prefer iMovie, you may use it firstly convert avi to imovie supported mp4.
It is easier to join the avi and mp4 files into one with this guide: How to join videos files on Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.