Joining video files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Tech198, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all.

Anyone know of mac software to join video files.

avi and mp4.

I'm wish to join episodes of a TV show together. Can iMovie, or Handbrake do this ?

ANy suggestions? :apple:

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

iMovie reencodes your stuff, which you DO want to avoid, at least with files already using an up-to-date video format (I assume your MP4's are at least H.264 ASP if not AVC).

There are a lot of video joiner apps out there that do NOT reencode. Personally, I used to recommend (before its price went up) iVI. Please see my post at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15394130&postcount=4

Nevertheless, you can also give a try to the beta version of MP4Tools, in the "Edit files" tab, in the lower right corner. Let me know if you'd prefer this to iVI and I'll seriously test and report on its compliance, stability etc.

4. treatment macrumors member

Save as Quicktime .mov should do the trick.

.mov is a container that will "hold" whatever codec you put into it.

Need Quicktime Pro (I believe).
    It's a $30 purchase, and well worth it.

Treatment

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

How will this solve the original problem, that is, joining video files?

6. ytk macrumors regular

Quicktime Player 7 is actually quite a powerful little application. You can do far more with it than just playing movies. For example, you can open up several movies, and copy and paste them into each other to create one long movie. Then you can save the resulting movie either as a reference Quicktime, which just points to the original files, or as a self-contained movie, which should be playable anywhere. You can also export the movie to a different format if you need to transcode it.

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Just tested MP4 joining in QT7 Pro - it indeed works flawlessly, without having to reencode. Sorry - I didn't know it's actually able to export joined videos without reencoding. I had thought it can't.

8. Eyden macrumors member

9. giluish macrumors newbie

iMovie is a good choice for joining MP4. But it is not compatible with AVI format. :confused:

I just found out a detailed guide on how to merge various kinds of video and audio files like MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, MKV, AVCHD, SWF, MP3, WAV, etc.

Hope it will help you more or less.

10. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

You could try doing a file append via terminal's cat command. This is a command line where you type in the files in order with the cat command and then output to a single file. The only caveat is that all the files must be the same kind to work and thus it would be all avi files to build a large single avi file and same with mp4 etc.