Joliet Format for OS X 10.3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ftngrave, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ftngrave macrumors newbie

I am trying to install a Netgear Wireless-G Router on an Apple laptop running OS X 10.3.9. When I run the installation disc, it has a Mac users text file. It says something about Macs' inability to deal with Joliet format files, and that I should go here, http://www.tempel.org/joliet/, to download the application so that I can install the drivers, ect. for the router.

This application from tempel.org though only works for OS 7-9, not OS X.

I also found another Joliet file system application here, http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/8017, but it lists its requirements as only for use with System 7.1 - OS 9.x; it also says, "Not needed with OS X, because OS X has built-in support for Joliet already".

By the way, when I try to run anything that looks like the installer files from the disc, a prompt tells me for instance, "There is no default application specified to open the document, "Autorun.exe". So it seems clear that OS X 10.3.9 does not have built-in support for Joliet files.

I also looked into downloading Apple's bootcamp, but it's designed for OS X v10.5 and later.

I then found this web page, http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004041301593855, which talks about how OS X 10.3 doesn't support the Joliet Level 3 filesystem specification, and tells you how to type code in Terminal to solve the problem. Some people commenting on this further down the page say that this doesn't always work, and since I'm not a Mac user regularly, the steps for applying this solution don't really make sense to me. The second comment down from the original post by "brfransen" has some "Applescript" that's supposed to work, but where do I enter Applescript on a Mac? In Terminal?

So basically, I'm wondering, will the first two web pages I've listed with Joliet applications possibly work in OS X 10.3.9, even though they're not designed for OS X?
    Will bootcamp possibly work, even though it's designed for OS X 10.5 and later?
    If the code of the third and last web page I mentioned will work, can someone give me the steps to do so that will make sense to a PC user?

The Mac belongs to my neighbor and we're trying to share an internet connection. I've posted this so that someone might know a solution that will work before I go back to my neighbor's place and try to install the router. At this point it looks like I could spend a couple hours messing with the Mac and still might not figure it out. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

2. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

You're encountering the fact that you can't open Windows executables (Autorun.exe) in OS X. Since you can view the file in the first place, you don't have any problem with the Joliet FS.

Since you're using a Netgear router, there's really no need to use the installer disc. You can simply point it to the default IP address of the router (you'll need to be plugged in directly if this is a first-time use). It can vary, but try 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, or 172.16.0.1. Those tend to be the most common default gateway addresses. From there, you can set everything up.

Hope that helps.