Jolla Tablet [UPDATE: ended during 7th batch - 480% of goal]

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by cube, Nov 15, 2014.

1. cube, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

cube macrumors G5

I don't need another tablet or a huge phone now.

I hope it is a reasonable phone, because I'm not happy with the current BlackBerry options.

2. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

check the 3 vids shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-jolla/jolla-1.html/ if the link doesnt work, go to Shop - Jolla ... there are 3 vids about the phone, two reviews and one official.

i think a 16gb storage is a bit small nowadays (of course you can put your huge files to an external sd too).

3. danthe93 macrumors member

danthe93

Looks really thick.

4. cube thread starter macrumors G5

What are you talking about? The phone that came out a year ago?

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

oh, my mistake, thought it was updated... i havent been following them at all. probably "big" indicates a tablet? but it might be just a phone, because their phone (link above) is outdated.

6. cube thread starter macrumors G5

That phone was already too basic for the price at release, but this is understandable given the small production volume.

At least the price has gone down significantly some months ago already, and they have started selling it in countries like India.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

To be honest the thing I've been expecting from Jolla for a while is a bankruptcy notice. I don't mean this flippantly, but genuinely - I thought they would have gone belly up by now given limited appeal, cost, distribution of the device. It's too 'niche' for even 'niche' products.

8. mrex, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

limited distribution?? they already sell it in europe, hongkong and india. they just expanded to russia also... you know it takes some time to spread? and nowadays it isnt easy. it is not going to be an easy job to keep the company in business. there is so much competition and cheap phones with high specs coming from asia.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But thats EXACTLY MY POINT ... Hence my post...... And just because you can order it online from their site doesn't mean that distribution isn't limited. It is. You can't go down to your local phone shop and buy one or even try one can you. Hence its distribution is limited.

10. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

actually I can go, try and buy it from a local shop. anyway, they are expanding all the time and it is not so limited when they are selling it already in large markets and you can order it from their site if you cant find it from a shop.. i wouldnt be worried about markets being too limited, i would be more worried about the competition: well-known brands having large shares, high quality products and now cheap, high specs products coming from Asia. not an easy task trying push your device through. of course you can always say it is limited because you dont get it from the next corner... and what comes to Jolla, i think they doing it on smart way until they actually can afford to be on every corner...

i havent been following Jolla at all lately, so im interested in the big thing now =P

11. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

A huge phone certainly is a possibility.
    [​IMG]

What's wrong with the current blackberry options, weren't you championing the passport a little while ago?

12. cube, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

cube thread starter macrumors G5

No, I said the Passport is interesting as a conversation piece, but I would definitely not buy it unless it fits in a shirt pocket (doubt it and haven't checked it out yet), and I'm not interested in a physical keyboard unless it is a landscape slider (and seeing that the Z10 is barely enough in landscape to read some of my favourite websites relatively comfortably, it is a no go).

The problem is that there is no true Z10 upgrade yet (and with up to date specs).

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Jolla will be my next phone unless ubuntu touch is ready to go.

14. Sincci macrumors regular

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

16. Robotti, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

Robotti macrumors regular

Robotti

It was a nice announcement at Slush. Mark Dillon is an inspiring speaker. Very intensive. They had the team on stage when he took out the device and the crowd was really cheering. And looking at the indiegogo campaign, it seems like a somewhat popular device.

Attached Files:

17. cube thread starter macrumors G5

They already sold out the first 2 batches, and they are at 50% of the third. Each new one costs a bit more than the previous, and you have to wait a bit longer.

18. Razeus macrumors 601

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

20. cube thread starter macrumors G5

189 was the price of the first batch.

Above that table, they state that the expected retail price is 249.

21. cube, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

cube thread starter macrumors G5

From the comparison table, the N1 seems a more sophisticated hardware implementation, did Foxconn engineer it?

Or maybe it's just because of the component choice Foxconn has with their volumes.

It can also be at least partly that the microSD slot significantly alters what is possible. In any case, I'm not interested in a mobile device without such feature.

Or maybe the battery is removable?? That would be AMAZING for a tablet, but I doubt it.

22. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I see it is dual band, good. I was not hot about the 1GiB RAM, and qHD of the Jolla phone, but it was finally noticing that it doesn't have 5GHz that made me decide against it, I don't want any 2.4GHz WiFi at home.

23. cube thread starter macrumors G5

BTW, it's good that the Jolla phone battery is removable, but it's not very practical if there's no charger for it (BlackBerry showed the right way here).

Also, I don't see any batteries for sale in the Jolla shop (maybe the new air cargo restrictions are to blame).

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep, they basically licensing Nokia's name but it's a Foxconn product

25. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I read that the industrial design is Nokia's. I would understand that means the design but not the engineering.

The budget BlackBerry Z3 hardware was engineered by Foxconn very quickly. That seemed to me like a more generic design.