Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Well-known talk show host Jon Stewart today confirmed that Apple canceled his Apple TV+ series "The Problem with Jon Stewart" over content concerns. In a discussion with CBS Mornings (via Variety), Stewart said that Apple did not want him to "say things" that might get him into trouble.

problem-jon-stewart.jpg

I wanted a place to unload thoughts as we get into this election season. I thought I was going to do it over at -- they call it Apple TV+. It's a television enclave, very small. It's like living in Malibu. But they decided ... they felt that they didn't want me to say things that might get me in trouble.
Stewart's television show was canceled last October ahead of the launch of the third season, and rumors at the time suggested that he had run into "creative differences" with Apple executives. A report from The New York Times claimed that the disagreements were over some planned guests, show topics related to China, and topics related to artificial intelligence.

Stewart did not provide details on the specific things that he and Apple clashed over, but he has now validated the rumors over the reason why his Apple TV+ series was canceled. Such a high profile cancelation could impact Apple's ability to get similar hosts for future projects, as there could be worries over Apple's level of control. Stewart's show explored current affairs "problems" and episodes featured everything from news in the national conversation to issues that were part of Stewart's advocacy work.

Apple canceled "The Problem with Jon Stewart" ahead of the 2024 election year. Stewart has decided to make a return to "The Daily Show," where he will appear every Monday night through the election cycle. His first return show airs tonight.

Stewart was the host of "The Daily Show" for more than 15 years, and he stepped down eight years ago to hand the reins over to Trevor Noah. Noah retired last year, and so the series has been looking for a new host.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Jon Stewart Confirms Apple Canceled Show: 'They Didn't Want Me to Say Things That Might Get Me in Trouble'

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Well-known talk show host Jon Stewart today confirmed that Apple canceled his Apple TV+ series "The Problem with Jon Stewart" over content concerns. In a discussion with CBS Mornings (via Variety), Stewart said that Apple did not want him to "say things" that might get him into trouble.
Apple ran out of courage.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
HasanAbi or going by his formal name, Hasan Piker, also felt the same way while he was on air with TYT. That is the primary reason, he cites, for leaving TYT and creating his own Twitch channel, where he regularly gets millions of views for voicing his various controversial political views.

Maybe Jon Stewart could do the same?

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Apple should have never gotten involved in TV show and movie production, there were and are plenty of video streaming apps without Apple. Apple could have put the same money, focus and attention into AAA gaming for Mac and living room—the biggest gaping hole in Apple's ecosystems.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.