Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today removed Jony Ive from its leadership page on its website, suggesting that he has officially departed the company after nearly three decades. The change was spotted by French blog MacGeneration.

jonyiveinterview-800x600.jpeg
Jony Ive portrait by Brian Bowen Smith

Ive led Apple's design team since 1996. Promoted to Chief Design Officer in 2015, he had been responsible for all design at Apple, including the look and feel of Apple products like the iPhone, Mac, and Apple Watch, packaging, and major architectural projects such as Apple Park and Apple Stores.

In June, Apple announced that Ive would depart the company as an employee later this year to form an independent design company named LoveFrom with his designer friend Marc Newson. Apple said it will remain one of Ive's primary clients.

"Jony is a singular figure in the design world and his role in Apple's revival cannot be overstated, from 1998's groundbreaking iMac to the iPhone and the unprecedented ambition of Apple Park, where recently he has been putting so much of his energy and care," said Apple CEO Tim Cook in June.

Apple said its operations chief Jeff Williams will "spend more of his time" working with the company's design team in their studio. Evans Hankey and Alan Dye, vice presidents of Industrial Design and Human Interface design at Apple, respectively, will now report to Williams as part of the transition.

Article Link: Jony Ive Removed From Apple's Leadership Page

Last edited:

picaman

Cancelled
Oct 6, 2005
My take: he was great at physical design of objects. Not so great at interface design, which he eventually got involved in. As crucial as his designs were to Apple’s revival, he became less crucial over time. Still, I’ll miss hearing “aluminium”.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I still think Jony’s initial best design was the 20TH Anniversary Mac!

A British knighted man has left the Apple Park.

btw the AppleStore is down.

Attachments

• 84CB9CFC-ADEF-431D-9D0A-68DA2C0D218C.png
    84CB9CFC-ADEF-431D-9D0A-68DA2C0D218C.png
    383.2 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: MaximizedAction

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Jobs was the balance that Ive needed. Often Steve had to reel him back in, but ever since Steve passed away, Johnny Ive got too powerful at apple. His words got too much weight. Its good now that he's gone and hopefully balance and rational thinking is restored at apple.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I really believe the man on the right will return at some point.

Highly doubt that will ever happen as long as Tim remains CEO. Cook made the call for him to step down over their Apple Maps apology disagreement. And as long as Apple keeps up its ever impressive financial performance I just can't see Tim going any time soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.