MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple-watch-hermes1-250x275.jpg
Apple design chief Jony Ive and Hermès artistic director Pierre-Alexis Dumas recently spoke with The Wall Street Journal about how the Apple Watch Hermès came to be.

Interestingly, the two companies began collaborating on the premium Apple Watch last year, several months before the wrist-worn device was released.
"It's something highly unusual for Apple to do--to talk about an unannounced project," said Mr. Ive, 48 years old. They decided to partner over lunch in Paris, where Hermès is based, last October.
Jony Ive believes that, while the Apple Watch Hermès was the most expensive product introduced at Apple's media event earlier this week, the premium watch does not make Apple an "exclusive" company. He later compared the Apple Watch Hermès to the Apple Watch Sport, stating that the same amount of time and effort went into designing both models.
"We don't think in those terms," Mr. Ive said in an interview Wednesday, after the Apple Watch Hermès was unveiled. "I'm not comfortable with words like exclusive." [...]

"Look at this next to one of the sport collection," he says, referring to the $349 rubber-bracelet version that accounts for the majority of watch sales to date, according to people familiar with the matter. "There's not one that had more care invested in its designing or making."
Nevertheless, Apple's partnership with luxury goods maker Hermès is further evidence the Apple Watch is being positioned to both the high-end technology and fashion industries. The returns could be lucrative, with the Apple Watch Hermès lineup ranging in price from $1,100 to $1,500.

Apple-Watch-Hermes-Trio-800x301.jpg

Apple Watch Hermès watches feature leather straps handmade in France, with ten different models to choose from in Single Tour, Double Tour and Cuff designs. The collection will be available for purchase in October at select Apple Store and Hermès locations in Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco and Toronto.

Article Link: Jony Ive Says Apple Watch Hermès Doesn't Make Apple 'Exclusive'

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
So.. wait a minute.. how much exactly does one of those leather straps cost?

I bought a piece of leather once for about the same price, and it came with a floor, a roof, some doors and wheels, and an engine, and it was really useful. What does THIS piece of leather do?

Its quite apparent you're on the tech, not fashion side of Apple's target market here :D

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
He is right. That $1K Hermés watch is exactly the same as my $349 sport watch except for the band and branding. In some ways this could be Apple's most egalitarian product as the functionality is the same where the you spend $349 or thousands.

Comment

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Love this new plan - great marketing and it nice to see Apple keeping the SS line as a more high end jewelry timepiece while the Sport is more accessible. And it definitely helps differentiate the apple watch from the lower priced android watches on the market. Looking forward to lots more collaborations in the future!

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I see most of you have never been inside an Hermes store.. I would advise you to refrain from entering one, because if you freak out about this you will most definitely have a seizure there

Any company that incentivises Apple to use the word "Girth" in a product description is a winner in my book

*schoolboy snigger*

Comment

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Meh, I don't see this selling very well. It's priced correctly -- just below the typical entry-level luxury watches -- but I don't think it will appeal to the luxury watch crowd. I mean, the watch itself will be obsolete in a few years, and then it will look horribly dated.

For another $500-$1k, you can get a classic timepiece that will age much better. Perhaps I just fail to grasp the "it factor" of the Apple watch...

Comment

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
So.. wait a minute.. how much exactly does one of those leather straps cost?

I bought a piece of leather once for about the same price, and it came with a floor, a roof, some doors and wheels, and an engine, and it was really useful. What does THIS piece of leather do?
It gets you on top of your leather at the correct time to be somewhere. :p

Reactions: karthik2809
Comment

Datalinks

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
I disagree. I think they look great and would be a reason for me to buy the Apple Watch. I just wish it wasn't $1500. Can't any other third party manufacturers make something that looks/feels similarly great?
You get what you pay for in this life...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.