iPad Jony Ive video really getting silly

Discussion in 'iPad' started by citivolus, Oct 23, 2013.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Anyone actually listen to the words that Jony spoke in iPad Air video? While I think his videos and the format are starting to get tired, I do think that this one really crossed the line into ridiculousness. Basically he says that if Apple reduces the volume of a product while keeping the same battery life, then they didn't compromise. Um, really?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

He does get a tad eccentric and sometimes overly dramatic about the design and stuff. Thats his job though. Its still a little sappy though. Like, c'mon dood, tablets arent quite *that* important in the grand scheme of things.

3. MisterBigMack macrumors regular

Come on, we all love it.

it's eccentric, it's over the top, no other mere mortal would talk like that

But that's why I think he's brilliant

All the apple product videos, might seem corny and bit farfefetch but I think it

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

I thought it was fine. The point is that the tablet is still going to be everything we expect: sturdy, with long battery life, and beautifully designed. At some point, we all have to wonder if these things will get so thin that they'll become fragile -- my sense from the keynote was that Apple is trying to head off any of that talk, and so far it looks like they succeeded, because no one I saw mentioned a thing about it being fragile or cheap feeling (unlike competing tablets).

Anyhow, when we are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars, tablets are pretty important. Heck, they're a lot more "important" in the grand scheme of that than any projects most of us are likely to tackle in our professional lives, so I'll give him a pass on eccentric, especially if it results in one of the best tech experiences I might ever have.

5. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

I actually do think he just cares that much. For others it might look silly, but I think when you put that much work into a project, you kind of naturally become that excited for even the slightest change of details.

6. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Last year someone posted a list of 15 things Johny Ivy said (or would say), I laughed so hard my stomach hurt. You're right!

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

To us, they've just made the iPad Mini with a bigger screen and called it a day.

To Jony, he (And his team) will have spent months, if not years, researching materials, different grades of the same materials, different strengths tests, hardness tests, assembly methods, production techniques, meetings with metalurgists, engineers, designers, weight distrubution, stress and dynamics, fixing position variation, types of glue, application methods, colour techniques, glass technologies, coefficient of friction etc etc etc.

Thats before you get to the obvious types of jobs, experimenting with different radius of corners, different angles of the chamfer, postition of buttons, size of buttons, colours, screen sizes etc etc etc

He has lived and breathed this stuff for years, and by all accounts, he loves it.

8. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Great post. I wish more people thought about product design in this way and realised the incredible amount of effort that goes into great product design.

This effort is a major part of why so many people love their iPads / [insert Apple product]. Everything about the product has been considered deeply - which is not something that can be said for a lot of other products available.

9. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

10. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

This x10000 I'd get exited too if I was able to accomplish what they have accomplished with the iPad air.

11. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

My only issue is that they are all starting to look and sound the same. Even when it's clear Jony is loving his work, he sounds like he's really tired and ready for bed :D

12. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have any issue with design in general, or Jony's designs in particular. I think Apple aesthetics are fantastic and have been a long-time fan and customer.

My issue is literally with what he said. It's almost as if Jony and Apple are running out of ideas. Thinner and lighter with efficient power management is not a terribly innovative design goal. Heck, they didn't even throw in the Touch ID. I know typical Apple theatrics for these events, but the extreme close-ups of the "chamfered" edge, the "breakthrough" music, when coupled with Jony's statements, just seemed too over-the-top. I almost felt like I was watching one of those parody videos of him.

Figuring out how to make such a fantastic product: A+
    Innovating on this fifth generation: not so much

13. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    They need more Mansfield. But other than that, no complaints. As for making these products thinner and lighter, those are perfectly valid goals. In fact, they're the most important goals in my mind. Ultimately on a closed platform like this, software is going to be keeping pace with hardware, no matter what the hardware is. But these products are incremental steps towards digital paper. Paper-thin, flexible computers. That's what we're headed towards, and that's awesome.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

14. Codestud macrumors member

Ive always says things like "To create something really new, we had to start again and design with intent, and the result is a product which is so much more"... LOL

There has to be some sort of limit to thinness and lightness of these products somewhere down the line. You can't have an iPhone or iPad that's as thin as a sheet of paper - you cannae change the laws of physics.

Apple will probably reach this limit first, because they seem to spend an awful amount of R&D on it, but when they do, other companies will follow a few years or so afterwards.

The only differentiator then between Apple and others will be the quality of the software.

15. mrxak macrumors 68000

Somebody's got to push the envelope. The race-to-the-bottom Android market certainly won't be. They make all their money selling the cheapest products possible with older tech, and only make high-end products so they can say they do and then sell more of the cheaper products en masse based on their "high-end" brand.

So yes, Apple is going to market the first digital paper, that's as thin and light as physically possible (and before you rule out paper-thin, you should check up on what's already being developed in flexible circuits and displays... we just don't have it in products yet because of costs and mass-production difficulties), and we'll truly be living in the future. Apple's high-end-only business model and margins are what let them do it, and their focus is going to be on pushing the envelope rather than doing what's sensible. This in turn allows Apple to create a niche for themselves and thus continue to stay in business and continue to push the envelope. There's nothing especially special about Apple, they've just chosen to go after a particular niche while other companies have gone for mass-market appeal.

16. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

You couldn't be further from the truth. Sure the generic computer companies are dishing out garbage, but the big companies are innovating in ways that is leaving Apple to catch up and doing at a cheaper cost to take away Apple marketshare.

Amazon for instance is selling the new kindle fire hdx 7" tablet for $209. It comes with 2gb ram, a 323 ppi screen with 100% color accuracy (Apple doesn't even claim that), a snapdragon quad core 800 almost twice as fast as A6x, and 11 hours of battery life when watching videos and 18 hours when reading ebooks, magazines etc. Also features mimo wifi, less than 30 second live video customer support for free, free video downloads for prime members and free book rentals. The Amazon app store is also catching up with Apple and has all the big name app developers creating apps for it. Amazon also only charges $40 for each memory increase so $80 to go from 16gb to 64gb. The kindle is also made out of magnesium with a soft touch outside and gorilla glass. It is every bit as high quality as the iPad mini.

Google is doing the same thing with their Nexus line.

You would be a smart consumer to shop around and consider other products. The more people that do so will force Apple to come down off their high horse and start lowering the price of memory upgrades and devices. If you consistently buy anything Apple sells for whatever price, you will allow Apple to offer an iPad 2 for $399 and get away with it.

17. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree, he was a great face for presenting the "advanced tech meets everyday user" story.

Of course I agree thinner and lighter are valid goals--it's just surprising that they are the only goals stated, especially in a device that is getting somewhat long in the tooth.

Seriously?

18. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I agree. Those videos make me dizzy my eyes roll so much...
    But I love the resulting products, so I cut him slack.
    If this is what he's got to do to do what he does, then so be it.

19. mrxak macrumors 68000

And yet, Apple's making bezels narrower and bodies thinner and lighter, pushing that envelope. Apple's got a 64-bit SOC, pushing that envelope. And oh yeah, iOS is so easy to use, it doesn't need live video customer support :p.

----------

They're not the only goals stated, just one of the main goals in terms of hardware. Apple has plenty of goals for the overall user experience (including software), with size and weight being just one aspect of the total integrated package.

As for "long in the tooth", how the bloody heck so? Almost all of the components are brand spanking new, and the shell is brand new too. It's faster and better in just about every way. It's a tablet. What are you expecting it to do that it's not already doing? Do you look at a new computer and complain it doesn't have a built-in toaster? Spec increases are the definition of progress in technology. I guess 2x speed in just one year isn't good enough for you?

I'm honestly asking, because I really don't know what you people want Apple to do in this market that they're not already doing.

20. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

lol. if the IOS is so easy, why do they have classes you can attend or one on one geek support you can purchase for your grandma who doesn't know how to use the device? That doesn't make any sense now does it. Amazon has one on one video customer support for free accessible within 30 seconds. Which is easier, purchasing one on one support and then driving down to an Apple store to wait for help and then driving home or having instant support on your device with someone who can draw on the device and show you exactly how to use it for free?

My point is that Apple isn't the only company innovating. Sure they innovate in some ways, but other companies are innovating too and charging a lot less for high quality devices that are just as good. You could be Martha Stewart and be given a free iPad by Steve Jobs himself but it doesn't mean you will get special treatment from Apple. You supporting them does nothing beneficial for yourself. If anything, the more you buy from Apple, the more they will continue to sell 16gb iPads and 1gb ram.

21. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean in terms of the product development. Of course the iPad Air has the latest hardware components.

What would I have expected in terms of innovation?

How about a truly fingerprint-resistant screen so I don't have to keep wiping down my iPad?

How about a truly scratch-proof shell so I don't have to weigh down my iPad with a case and screen cover?

How about a tastefully-done pop-out stand from the back of the shell that rotates for both portrait and landscape?

Apple has always been very good at coming up with ideas that improve the usability of their products without people expressing them en masse. Maybe we've arrived at the critical mass of new features with this iPad and I should stop expecting big improvements in usability.

22. mrxak macrumors 68000

You have to admit there's a difference between the option to get extra help at an Apple Store from a "Genius" (an option relatively few choose to take), and a dedicated function on a device. Amazon clearly thinks everyone needs it, otherwise why would they have a mayday button and advertise it so heavily. This is clearly designed to solve a problem they're having, otherwise what was the point? If it's not a gimmick, then Amazon is having problems. If Amazon isn't having problems, then it's just a gimmick. Stepping back and looking at it, it's actually pretty hilarious they've gone to such a ridiculous step.

There's also the matter of people who are inexperienced with technology (and likely too scared to simply trial-and-error their way to learning) are being forced to use this newfangled technology to get help, instead of simply talking to an actual human being in person where surely they'd feel more comfortable. If they are so technically inclined as to be comfortable getting help via video chat, then just how awful is Amazon's product that these experienced users can't figure it out themselves?

I'm not saying other companies don't innovate. I'm just saying, you're pointing to Amazon's video chat tech support as an example? Really? It's the whackiest gimmick I've seen in the market in a long long time. If that's your prime example, I don't know what to say, really. Oh, and speaking of Prime, I can watch free Amazon video content too, and I don't own any Amazon devices at all.

23. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

That is an epic post.

24. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I think Apple made it that thin because nobody else can. Other tablet makers often struggle to even match the fat iPad on battery life and overall smoothness of the OS. Now it's freaking thin and twice as fast. That doesn't sound like much of a compromise to me. I think that the chances of competitors getting to longer battery life in the same size as the fat iPad are better than them getting the same battery life of the iPad Air in such a thin package. Meanwhile Apple will innovate that out and keep making it faster while hopefully improving battery life as time goes on. But honestly, does anyone really need beyond 10 hours of battery life at a time? My iPad can go most of a week between charges. Usually I can get 11+ hours out of it and independent battery benchmarks usually agree. That's a lot of time already so sure, make it lighter and easier to hold.

I do agree that the Jony Ive video format is growing stale. :D

25. JonyIve macrumors newbie

I really do love and care for my products and that is the feeling I'm trying to create in the videos.