Jony Ive's Involvement at Apple Reportedly Tapered After the Original Apple Watch Launched in 2015

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I didn't know that about why he was fired—I guess I still don't know why he was, but I was under the mistaken impression it was over Maps.

And I never would have thought Ive was involved in the keyboard directly—indirectly in wanting it slimmer. I assumed he was more of a "how it looks" than "how it works" designer.
Well I’m not saying this from first hand knowledge. But nobody at Apple ever said he was fired for maps. It was just the tech press and sites like this making that assumption.

As far as Ive, I don’t believe his team was just about aesthetics but if you’re right where was the leader of engineering or operations saying no this isn’t going to work?

scottrngr

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2015
The reputation of the MacBook Pro has been tainted. iPhones are bland. iOS and Mac OS hasn’t seen a significant change in over 5 years. The iPad and Mac Pro were finally redesigned after 5 and 6 years. The poor iMac has also been neglected. Something obviously happened behind the scenes. Tim is all about money. Ives and Jobs combined art and commerce to create a winning combination. If someone needs to go it’s Tim.
If Tim Cook quit tomorrow, I don't think anyone would be sad.

Music Ambulance

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
The flat iOS design was Ive's and Cook's middle finger to Scott Forstall because he wouldn't take the fall for the Apple Maps debacle.
Flat design is just a trend. Google are doing it with Material design. Trends come and go. Nothing more

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
When Steve was at the helm, momentum was showing more focus on product and less on profit revenue. It’s also well known he had strong opinions about the design.

I feel many complaining today were the ones that were excited about where Apple was going when Steve was alive and directing.

On the flipside, it’s obvious that Tim Cook is leading Apple in a different direction. For better or worse, it is definitely different than Apple in the past. Personally I dislike this direction. Fortunately I’m not the only one, and I am glad that competitors are upping their game
Nothing wrong with that. Apple has definitely gone in a different direction. I’m to the point where I just need an iPad and an iPhone for work and personal use, I love that. This was ultimately Jobs’ vision also. Some people like the direction, some people don’t. In the end, as long as they keep doing right by the bulk of their customers, it will all work out. You can’t please everyone.

Reactions: Darth Tulhu

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
Jobs was all about profit as well. Let’s not rewrite history. He pressured the book manufacturers so much it led to Apple getting in trouble over it.

That said Jobs tried to ensure success. News+ wouldn’t have made it out the door with two papers signed on. Jobs would’ve had a classic meltdown on someone.

And that’s the difference with Apple. Cook isn’t that person. Good luck designing by committee without someone with some common sense at top to say no.

I don’t blame them for not trying to replace another legend at Apple right now. For all ive’s success, no one likes having such a person to please. Would you if you’re Cook or another higher up want to actually empower someone else into this role? This isn’t something you put a job ad out for. Apple should have plans in place for anyone significant leaving. Have to look within. Or do nothing. I think we already know.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Sadly he will not be remembered for the good things he did in the first half of his career. Instead he will remembered for his form over functionality decisions (related to "thin" obsession) in the 2nd half of his career. These include removing home button and headphone jack, the butterfly keyboard, war on legacy ports, removal of Mag-safe, the useless "touch bar" on the laptops, etc.

If your idea of perfection is a blank white super thin piece of plastic, almost everything looks like a candidate for removal.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sadly he will not be remembered for the good things he did in the first half of his career. Instead he will remembered for his form over functionality decisions (related to "thin" obsession) in the 2nd half of his career. These include removing home button and headphone jack, the butterfly keyboard, war on legacy ports, removal of Mag-safe, the useless "touch bar" on the laptops, etc.

If your idea of perfection is a blank white super thin piece of plastic, almost everything looks like a candidate for removal.
I don’t think that will be that for at least some. Clearly some may remember him for removing the headphone jack, some will remember him for the overall contribution he made to advance the art of design.

9to6mac

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012

Following Apple's surprise announcement yesterday that Jony Ive is leaving the company, fresh details have emerged about the design chief's day-to-day involvement at Apple in recent years that suggest his exit has been a long time in the making.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports that after the Apple Watch launched in 2015, Ive had already started relinquishing his responsibilities because of the strain it was putting on him personally.

Around the time, Ive told the New Yorker he'd become "deeply, deeply tired," and said the year leading up to the Apple Watch debut was "the most difficult" since he joined Apple.

To extend his time at the company, Apple subsequently agreed to change his official role to Chief Design Officer, which allowed day-to-day responsibility of the hardware and software design teams to shift to executives Alan Dye and Richard Howarth.

From then onward, Ive began coming to Apple headquarters "as little as twice a week," and many meetings with his design team reportedly took place in San Francisco so Ive could avoid the long commute from his home in the Pacific Heights district to Apple's HQ in Cupertino, California.

Ive sometimes even met with his team at the homes of his employees, at hotels, or other venues, according to people familiar with the matter, while the design executive did much of his work at a San Francisco office and studio, which has now become the base of his new LoveFrom business.

Ive also frequently travelled to London, near to where he was raised, according to Bloomberg's Gurman.

About two years into his new role, at the end of 2017, Apple said Ive had re-assumed some of the leadership responsibilities he had previously given up, and Howarth and Dye were removed from Apple's leadership page. But still Ive only came to the office a couple of days a week.

Some people familiar with Apple are worried about the new design leadership, reports Gurman. With Ive leaving, longtime Apple designer Evans Hankey will run the hardware design group. Hankey, who has more than 300 patents to her name, is described as a "great team leader", yet one person familiar with the design team told Gurman that Apple "now lacks a true design brain on its executive team, which is a concern."

Hankey and Dye will report to Chief Operating Officer Jeff Williams, who will likely gain more control over product direction, and some employees are also said to be concerned that the re-organization is another sign that Apple is less design-focused and becoming more of an operations company.

As for the fate of Richard Howarth, Gurman tweeted that he didn't want to manage the design team, whereas "Hankey is known as a better manager, but isn't a designer." The entire group of designers has been reporting to Hankey, "and she to Ive after Howarth was demoted from VP a couple years ago," said Gurman. "The [organizational] structure isn't actually changing."

Article Link: Jony Ive's Involvement at Apple Reportedly Tapered After the Original Apple Watch Launched in 2015
--

OK, so I live in Pac Heights and commute to Palo Alto for work everyday. it's not that far off. Also can't Sir Jonny Ive afford a chauffer in this day and age?

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011

Burger Thing

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
This WSJ story is wild...and pretty damning of Tim Cook.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jony-ive-is-departing-apple-but-he-started-leaving-years-ago-11561943376

It also gives the impression things changed with Ive once Steve was gone. Steve was at the design studio every day; Tim Cook rarely stepped foot in there. After reading this story I get the feeling some of the more recent designer departures were due to Ive not being around as much.
In context of how Ive had to "explain" Cook the Mac Pro at the last developer conference, the WSJ article sadly makes perfect sense.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
In context of how Ive had to "explain" Cook the Mac Pro at the last developer conference, the WSJ sadly makes perfect sense.
Rene Ritchie just tweeted this:

Rene Ritchie (@reneritchie)
6/30/19, 11:18 PM
(Jony Ive piece that just hit may well represent the stories of people who are super pissed about what’s happened. But doesn’t match up with stuff I’ve heard pretty directly over the last couple years. Gentle reminder that you often get stuff like this during periods of change.)
I can’t tell from that tweet if there’s something specific he’s referring to or just the piece overall. I am curious about the salary thing....for quite some time Apple commentariat/tech press has wondered why Ive was never listed as an executive officer and never had to disclose his salary or stock options in SEC filings. John Gruber once speculated it was because he had a higher salary and Apple didn’t want to disclose it. Looks like he might have been right if this story is correct. Also fascinating that his new design firm will be getting millions from Apple. I wonder what the story is behind that.

Burger Thing

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Rene Ritchie just tweeted this:

I can’t tell from that tweet if there’s something specific he’s referring to or just the piece overall. I am curious about the salary thing....for quite some time Apple commentariat/tech press has wondered why Ive was never listed as an executive officer and never had to disclose his salary or stock options in SEC filings. John Gruber once speculated it was because he had a higher salary and Apple didn’t want to disclose it. Looks like he might have been right if this story is correct. Also fascinating that his new design firm will be getting millions from Apple. I wonder what the story is behind that.
There might be some truth to it. Inevitably with such high profile changes, there will be speculation. To be honest, I can see why a Jony Ive would earn more than an Eddie Cue or Schiller.

Maybe Jony wants to achieve something different in life and needs a fresh start - at the same time Apple officially probably still needs him and his services. Even only on paper - to keep the investors calm.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Yes, I read that in the Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/1/20676755/jony-ive-exit-tim-cook-disinterest-in-product

...and they highlighted some of the main reasons for the "dispiriting" (or whatever you want to call it):
  • Ive was “dispirited” by Tim Cook who “showed little interest in the product development process,” according to sources speaking to the WSJ. This helps explain why Cook sometimes appears to be seeing products for the first time in the hands-on area after Apple events (like the photo at the top of this article).
  • Ive grew increasingly frustrated as Apple’s board was populated by directors with backgrounds unrelated to the company’s core business.
  • Apple will pay Ive’s new firm LoveFrom “millions of dollars a year to continue to work Apple.”
  • Ive disagreed with “some Apple leaders” on how to position the Apple Watch. Ive pushed for the Apple Watch to be sold as a fashion accessory, not as an extension of the iPhone. The product that went on sale was a compromise. Apple only sold a quarter of what the company forecasted in the first year, according to the WSJ, with “thousands” of the $17,000 gold Apple Watch Edition left unsold.
  • The design team continues work on AR glasses “that would give users visual displays of messages and maps.”
  • Engineers found that the doomed AirPower charging pad “behaved more like a dorm-room hot plate, heating up loose change and failing to evenly recharge devices.”

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
On the flipside, it’s obvious that Tim Cook is leading Apple in a different direction. For better or worse, it is definitely different than Apple in the past. Personally I dislike this direction. Fortunately I’m not the only one, and I am glad that competitors are upping their game
What direction do you feel they should be taking?

Jyby

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
Well there are two problems with that. The first is what Steve would have thought is irrelevant to Apple today and secondly Ive doesn't need Apples permission to move on.
Idk Steve gone might have led to Ive’s depression.

Royksöpp

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
Corporate greed is everywhere. Someone should take Tim Cook and Bernard Arnault and drop them on a Deserted Island.

Seanm87

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
  • Ive was “dispirited” by Tim Cook who “showed little interest in the product development process,” according to sources speaking to the WSJ. This helps explain why Cook sometimes appears to be seeing products for the first time in the hands-on area after Apple events (like the photo at the top of this article).
Lol the idea that Cook didn’t see products until they actually launched is completely and utterly laughable.

ghostwriter

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Rocky Mountains U.S.A.
The most egregious act is not the charging port itself, but the ergonomics of the mouse.

Think about it: how often do you have to charge the Magic Mouse vs how often do you actually use the mouse. Pick up a decent Logitech mouse and the difference is immediately noticeable (and I'm not talking about the charging): the Magic Mouse is terrible for your hand in the long-term.
Totally agree. As one who deals with arthritis, I can attest to the horrible ergonomics of the Apple Mouse. I've been an Apple customer since the 80's and the mouse was the first Apple product I considered a fail based on the amount of hand pain feedback received during use.

rutrack

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
This WSJ story is wild...and pretty damning of Tim Cook.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jony-ive-is-departing-apple-but-he-started-leaving-years-ago-11561943376

It also gives the impression things changed with Ive once Steve was gone. Steve was at the design studio every day; Tim Cook rarely stepped foot in there. After reading this story I get the feeling some of the more recent designer departures were due to Ive not being around as much.

That's exactly spot on, all the products that came out of Apple recently are a direct result of this attitude from CEO and the board of directors. Apple has NO Leader !!!!!! Only managers and executives.