Jony Ive's Involvement at Apple Reportedly Tapered After the Original Apple Watch Launched in 2015

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Speak for yourself, I am a big fan of the direction their hardware is heading (thin, USB-C, I love the butterfly keyboards if they weren‘t so prone to breaking).

I don‘t want a thick Macbook Pro or iPhone. Hope they don‘t do a gigantic U-turn in terms of product design under the new leadership.
The question is why can’t Apple do both? Why do consumers as well as power users need to be serviced by one and the same design form factor?
You care about portability. Power users care about performance and being able to have access to and replace components. There is zero sense in hamstringing their so called ‘Pro’ line for something power users care little about.
The solution is simple. Offer both form factors and please everybody, or continue along the line they have been under Ive and drive away the power users even further. Time will tell.

The Man

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2004
I've not been a fan of the flat design since Day 1.
Ever since the flat design of iOS 7, my mother with eye disease can hardly operate her iPad. The OS lacks any contrast and button targets are so small. Also it's becoming complex with all the gestures and multitasking, and not everything can be turned off. The iPad went from revelation to her to something of frustration.

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
View attachment 845427

The question I have now is... will Apple product designs get better or worse with Ives' departure?
Was Ive really involved with the design or was he rubber stamping someone else’s decisions? If he was simply a frontman to whoever was really making the decisions then the designs won’t improve. That person/persons are still there. If he really was behind some/most/all of the decisions then it depends on who really replaces him. That may not be the person Apple officially announces will be in charge.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
www.citysnaps.net
The flat iOS design was Ive's and Cook's middle finger to Scott Forstall because he wouldn't take the fall for the Apple Maps debacle.
Seriously? The flat design was the natural evolution of the user interface.

Forstall was held responsible for the introduction of Maps, Siri, and even the Swiss Railway clock appropriation messes.

Jsameds

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2008
Not saying he was solely responsible for the Magic Mouse charging port, but this may be the most egregious act of poor design in Apple’s recent history.
Not really.

Does't break the design flow, it forces people to use it as intended (wirelessly) and it takes the same amount of time to swap over AAs as it does to charge the mouse for a full day's use.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68000
It had to be challenging for Jony to continue on, when he was working on so few products, each of which likely carry such a huge burden of needing to be giant sellers. It is one of the big negatives a company like Apple faces given their status as a top designer brand. And for creatives, getting stuck trying to design within a narrow set of conditions loses its appeal and causes stagnation in design itself.

I would bet that he had more fun creatively when designing products that didn’t carry the same burden back in the earlier Apple days. Hopefully his departure will afford other Apple designers ideas to start being seen and used.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Design is peachy job so highly doubt that was the reason. Suspect the real issue for missing work, looking distant, having weird design choices, no longer under the company spotlight, etc. is due to a drug dependency issue. Moderate use may spur some genius in design but it usually leads to chronic use and crash. So, was the board rather than Tim Cook that made the call? If so, Tim Cook may be next.

Reactions: Wide opeN

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
That doesn't surprise me.

What they don't realize is a huge part of Apple's success is largely due to Ive's brilliance and designs. Designs that most other companies have ripped off. Much easier to moan-n-whine about the past being stuck in the good old days.
A huge part of Microsoft’s success was Bill Gates. A huge part of the market loss Microsoft had in devices and software in the early 21st century were also because of Bill Gates. Lots of companies have someone who was or is a driving force that makes that company successful and cutting edge who end up making decisions that aren’t that good later in their career.

The Man

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2004
I don't understand what Ivy had to do with the butterfly mechanism. Wasn't that designed by the engineers? I was under the impression, please correct me if wrong, Ivy and his team dealt with the aesthetics, not the engineering.
I think so too. Ive and his team give the directive: "Make it this thin." And then engineering team comes up with a solution. Ive approves. And off it goes to testing. Testing says: "Passed." Design gets incorporated in final product.

People are also too harsh when it comes to the design team. It's not like every design decision comes from them. Cook and all senior people together decide the direction, like Steve did before. I think the thinness also comes from Apple marketing. What do people want more? Thinness with protruding camera, or no protruding camera and a thicker and heavier phone? People on the forums have determined they want the latter, while marketing at Apple have determined people want thinner and lighter more and don't mind the protruding camera. Cook and co eventually decide and give the direction to Ive and his team and they comply. Ive doesn't have to like the protruding camera. He may ask engineering: "Give me a flatter camera module." Engineering says they can't. Etc. We will not know these things until someone asks him in the future.

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
And that’s how we will end up with that ugly camera lense arrangement on the next iPhone
Was thinking of this too. That big ugly chopped marshmallow sticking out on the back just didn't fit with what they'd done previously - although maybe we'll find there is some actual reason for it instead of a line of lenses (doubtful).

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
https://twitter.com/eli_schiff/status/1144465812624777217

"Tim Cook’s relentless focus on profits made Apple so toxic for Jony Ive he couldn’t even show up to the office. As I said, it wasn’t “one foot out the door.” It was Jony running for dear life."

Sounds like Ive had his reasons... He will be missed! Even if Apple design has gotten... dubious in the past several years. If anything, him not being overly involved might explain a lot

When do they give iOS a new facelift? We had one after Forestall, are we going to have one after Ive since that was 'his' iOS 7 to present? One can hope

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm so tired, tired, tired of my job and the constant childish politics but can't leave because I have bills to pay. Wish I could be tired like Ive and not come to work whenever the eff I want to and complain all day for presenting the same damn designs for years on end while keeping millions of dollars to myself.
Ives has been working for the past 27 years... if you haven't saved up enough to be able to retire and never worry about bills again by that point, I think you did something wrong...

ghostwriter

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Rocky Mountains U.S.A.
I wonder if it's time for Tim to also go ?
Good question. From the investor perspective, Apple has tripled revenue under Tim's leadership. That's also a crucial consideration when a board considers CEO performance. Apple's gross profit margin has fallen a small bit (Dec 2018 37.99% and March 2019 37.61%) in recent months but remain similar to margins under Steve's leadership.