Jony Ive's iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MacFly123, Nov 13, 2012.

1. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

The other day Apple issued a new beta of iOS to devs.

I am going to go on record and say that the new Passbook welcome screen (below) is the first sneak peek into iOS UI/UX designed by Jony Ive's oversight!

What do you all think? Discuss :)

Attached Files:

2. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Horrible colour choice for the text, it was an eye-torture trying to read that paragraph.
    Jony Ive doesn't always come up with great things, taking form over function is one of his flaws

3. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Like or dislike, do you think he had anything to do with that new welcome screen? I'd bet anything he did. The style and flatter simplicity sounds exactly like what he has expressed!

4. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

*Keeps checking these threads for mockups, and is constantly disappointed.*

5. dv8r macrumors 6502

dv8r

It will be a process - and a long one. They need to find a "language" and they need to coordinate how to implement it into both OSX and IOS. I don't expect to see major changes on this side of IOS8. So I don't think the welcome screen is something Ive is involved in at all... The first sign You'll see is the shredder being killed...

6. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I doubt Ive had any hand at this. It's got potential, but it's not great.

7. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Sorry! I actually am working on some but haven't had a lot of time to complete them lately :(

Yes I agree, but I think you will see a lot of changes in iOS 7 because they need to! People are craving something fresh. I don't think it will be an earth shattering complete UI redesign, but a lot of refinements across the board!

I think it has a noticeably different design style than the rest of iOS so I think it makes perfect sense he had oversight with it.

8. Payton macrumors regular

Payton

Agreed. I might have to give a go at some mockups, too.

9. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Jony Ive probably hasn't unpacked yet from moving to his new office. No way he's had any influence on any OS look yet.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Agreed. I do wish Apple (and MS and others) would read the RNIB's Clear Text guidelines for making text easier to read for those with vision problems. What's the point of a retina display if some ass**** hobbles it by using low contrast for text?

11. karter16 macrumors member

Agreed - I very much doubt he's had anything to do with this. If you ask me this is just a further progression along the "light-en-ing" of the UI that we've been seeing in iOS6. Music app, app store, etc.

For what it's worth light-grey text on light background is not ideal for mobile devices in my opinion... Also the icons look rather metro-esque - I much prefer the icons in the old passbook welcome screen.

12. Zach Vega macrumors regular

Zach Vega

I love the new Passbook screen. Much cooler looking than the previous one.

13. macleod644 macrumors newbie

I like the old one better I just checked them out side by side and the original one is better IMO. I hope Jony didn't have a say in this. He seems like he would make it much cooler than that plain looking thing

14. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

OP's picture isn't the best quality...Apple's entire website uses the same color scheme, and has for a really long time. So now you are all going to tell us that Apple has no idea of what they are doing when it comes to fonts and font colors on screens?

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

16. GravityEyes, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

GravityEyes macrumors regular

GravityEyes

Well looks like the fan boys found their new demigod. Ive will be responsible for every pixel shift from here on out. Naw, forget the dozens of uber talented designers at Apple... Ive touches everything. He's in all places at one time. I bet he spent the time since his promotion doing nothing but a splash page for the Passbook app. I mean, what else would be a better use of his time?

17. zbarvian macrumors 68010

This.

18. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

This is exactly how it feels around here nowadays. Personally, I am saddened that some of his focus will be removed from making great hardware, which is in my opinion what he does best.

19. heyyoudvd macrumors regular

Have you seen Google Now? That's how I imagine an OS designed by Jony Ive will look. Google really nailed the design language there. It's simple, legible, and pretty without any excess kitsch.

20. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I always thought Google's Now interface is too simplistic. I would do the same thing with CSS. Just make make the background colour an off white, add some corner radius and box shadow and... done. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they are using since they are just reformatting web search results.

21. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

Haha. I always saying I've :DDDD on any post which includes Ive...it's funny :D

22. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Why would he move out of the secret lair?
    All the cool prototyping machines are there.
    Unless he's moving into Steve's old office it has the nice furniture and probably a hidden lift to the secret lair with the cool toys anyway.

I think it'll be interesting to see what effects JI has on the system. I mean he seems to be a full canvas kind of designer. Hardware under his direction has favoured pushing the screen quality while the removing distraction from that screen (well with the exception of Glare). If the same gets applied to the OS then to me the push will be in giving developers more and more power to make beautiful and distinct things on the canvas.

23. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

You forgot the other side of it: Any "bad" design decisions will somehow be attributed to Forstall, even 2 years down the road.

Just like how any good decisions Apple makes now are still attributed to Steve, while any bad ones are blamed on Tim. :rolleyes:

24. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I doubt Ive will be "designing" anything. He will just be giving his opinion on what's being designed and suggestions for improvements.

I like that he will have the YES/NO on stuff making it to our iDevices :)

25. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Ive has taste.

Even if he just decision-makes with a "Yes/No/Try Harder" that will be better for iOS.