Jony's iPhone 6 Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pigs, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Pigs, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

Pigs macrumors newbie

Pigs

I'll preface this by saying I really like my 6. Returning to the rounded edges of the original and the gorgeous screen make it a worthy upgrade over my 5.

There are two areas of the phone that just don't seem to have the Jony Ive polish and with all the hoopla around GTAT I have a theory why. We have Apple's precedent of every new phone having 3 things, a larger screen, thinner than the last and lighter than the last (even just slightly). We also have a lead designer spending an ample amount of his time researching watches for the new Apple Watch. The two things that bothered me picking up the 6 for the first time is how light it was and that protruding camera.

So let's follow a theory why. Jony is convinced by his new watch buddies that a premium product like the iPhone should have a sapphire screen like high end watches. Jony convinces Tim to pony up cash to get GTAT up and running for Apple Watch and iPhone screens made of sapphire. So Jony and his team set out making the 6 from the beginning with a sapphire class cover as a design constraint. One thing that we know about sapphire that would effect the whole design of the 6 is it is much heavier than the current glass screen. This places Jony in a tough situation, to keep with the Apple thinner, lighter, bigger he now needs to sacrifice weight alone in the body and battery to meet the so called "Steve Jobs" design iteration standards.

So the team does it. A sapphire screen iPhone 6 that is bigger, very slightly lighter and thinner than the current phone. Much to Jony's better judgment the only way to get to those criteria mean that the camera lense has to stick out. But in his mind that amazing sapphire screen will hide every other fault of the phone. And guess what else sapphire is, much harder than glass and not susceptible to bending...so prototypes are made, tooling ordered and orders placed.

Then the crushing blow comes to the design team, GTAT will not have the sapphire ready for launch due to either manufacturing, yields, finishing or whatever. Apple scrambles to get Gorilla Glass on order for the 6 to be able to launch on time. Jony for the first time in his career since Steve has to release a phone he is unhappy with since GTAT is not pressured by Steve. Losing the sapphire makes the phone too light in the hand, that protruding camera (which he tried to hide in photos) looks ridiculous from a design standpoint and Bendgate is born from a less rigid phone. Jony in a last ditch move to save face convinces Tim to move the Apple Watch launch up to the iPhone launch even though it's not fully operational. He removes himself from the iPhone other than the mandatory "the most beautiful phone ever" tagline and goes on and on about the research, beauty and design of his new Apple Watch.

I'll get the mandatory "Cool story Bro" and "I didn't read all that but I'll reply anyway" out of the way, what does everyone think?

2. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

GT Advanced Technologies

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have no idea what to think since I don't know what the heck GTAT is.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

6. Pigs thread starter macrumors newbie

Pigs

7. unnamedny macrumors newbie

Can anyone summarize that pile of... writing.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

9. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I think you may have let your imagination run away with you here.

It never looked like GTAT would have built up capacity to supply sapphire for all iphone 6 models. There is also no suggestion that sapphire would look very different to gorilla glass in it's visual appearance - it would just be more scratch resistant.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, it's a not a completely unlikely hypothesis.

12. Zxxv Suspended

I don't think the iPhone 6 is too light or any of the other things you said. Infact if it were heavier I wouldn't have bought one.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sapphire screen will hide the protruding camera and thick antenna bands?

14. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Theory has a major hole in it.
    Once Jony realized that they weren't going to use gorilla glass he would have just pushed the lense in and added either a larger battery (iirc there were rumors about that) or a slap of titanium. Voila, flat phone and heavier phone.

Besides, people aren't clamouring for the iPhone because the watch was announced.

15. Pigs thread starter macrumors newbie

Pigs

Thanks for humoring me, guess we won't know until Cook's biography like Steve's Gorilla Glass story.

Back to my iPhone bent and I have a dead pixel threads for me.....

16. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I think Jony's problem is that he modeled iPhone after himself. Rounded, bold, ugly, awkwardly gesturing and gobbledygooking nonsense. Same with iWatch.

17. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

18. TC03 macrumors 65816

It's ridiculous to think Apple was 'surprised' by the sapphire not being ready. You can be about 100% sure they worked out a plan B, C and D.

19. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

This theory fails because the practical differences between sapphire and glass are not as vast as you suggest.

20. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

iPhone 6 is not lighter than the 5. It weighs more than the iPhone 5S

i6-- 4.55 ounces (129 grams)

i5-- 3.95 ounces (112 grams)

21. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Jony Ive died in a car crash last year but Apple covered it up and a lookalike named Billy Shears is now head of design

BJ

22. oplix Suspended

oplix

The iphone 6 is not lighter than the 5. 128g vs 112g

23. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

Yup, I think this is where OP's theory falls apart. Apple very rarely uses emerging technologies (I know the use of sapphire as watch crystals isn't new, but the idea of using such large sheets for a smartphone). Took them until the second iPhone to incorporate 3G, almost two years to get LTE on the iPhone after Verizon first launched it in America, just now utilizing NFC, and only for mobile payments. Apple's strategy isn't to use the most cutting edge technology or components, but to use them in a way that works.

Seems like a sapphire display this time around would have been too huge a gamble, and Apple would've worked more closely with GTAT than they did if they were serious about sapphire on the iPhone 6.

24. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Please, please, tell me you're writing a book. Because you are very good at fiction. ;)