joomla - five columns on the home page - howto?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sk3pt1c, Aug 15, 2008.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

a client asked me to have five columns of banners on the home page of his site, one for each category of ad clients, ie. hotels, restaurants, clubs and so on...
    how would i go about doing that?
    would i need to edit the template?

this is the current home page
    www.zakynthos4s.gr

what the client asked was basically to remove the banners, zakynthos info, polls, latest news and popular modules...
    and have 5 columns next to each other, for example like the news and popular items are placed now, only they'd contain a series of small banners or text links to static content describing each advertised restaurant, hotel and so on...

thanks in advance for any speedy replies :)

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Okay, you need to use module positions (such as user1, top, main nav etc) which should come with the template (or if you created it).

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

the two news bits are placed on positions user1 and user2, thing is though, if i need 5 of those, would i have to edit the template i'm using and place them there so i can publish modules to their positions or something like that?

4. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Try user4/5 etc. Just create a new module with an internal link/front news items and push it to user4/5.

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

so, you're saying i'd have to edit the template to add the user3, user4 and user5 module positions, right?

alternatively i could just keep the two columns for user1 and user2 and publish more than one module for each in which case i'd have two modules on two rows and one on the third, right?

6. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

7. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Well if module positions are already showing up,- then no you just set a certain module (or many) to its specific user.

If they aren't there, yes you've got to make them.

In future please wait for help, I have a full time job like every one else and cannot be dedicated to helping people for free.

EDIT: and to disable the polls etc, just disable the modules.

8. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

yes, i know, free has been dead for quite some time now :)

anywho, thanks a lot!