Joomla vs Html/Php

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Nsutton, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Nsutton macrumors member

Nsutton

I want to learn web design. I know the very basic code in html and nothing in php. I've been recommended to use Joomla but I heard it doesn't require writing any code.

Should I steer away from Joomla because of the lack of code and I won't learn a web language or should I learn html or php?

If html or php, Which one do you prefer?

2. steveca macrumors 6502

HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) is what builds web pages, quite literally. I mean that you use HTML to set up the structure of the website.

PHP (Hypertext PreProcessor) is a scripting language that allows you to create dynamic webpages. You will still use HTML often when building websites.

Also important to consider CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) these allow you to format your web pages and is very important today.

Joomla (and others like drupal and magento...) are examples of CMS (Content Management Systems) and they give you an easy way to build sites that are easy to manage.

I personally recommend you to use all the technologies that you can. It will only help you to develop

3. Nsutton thread starter macrumors member

Nsutton

HTML is the structure so i should learn that.
    Php and the rest add coolness to it but don't build it like html?

4. steveca macrumors 6502

Knowing HTML you will be able to build websites. If you want to build something that looks modern you need to add CSS as it helps you in styling the site.

If you want to build something functional then you need something like PHP

You definitely need to know HTML yes.

5. SailorTom macrumors regular

PHP is a scripting language. As a general overview, it lives alongside your html, and tells the webserver which bits of html to send. It can also deal with retrieving stored information eg from a file or database, and processing incoming information eg web forms.

A common use of php is to build a modular site, bring in different sections of a page from several pages. For example you can write some html that is a navigation bar and have it stored in a file. You can use the same php code in all your pages to output the html content of the file. Then when you want to update your navigation you only have to change one file and it is reflected across your site.

Learn php and basically you will have to use html anyway

6. designguy79 macrumors 6502

In summary...

HTML and CSS: "front-end" - what the visitor's computer actually displays

PHP: "back-end" - what the server does (pulling from database, processing user-input, etc)

Joomla - Content Management System (CMS) - "software" that utilizes all of the above (and more) to make management of the web site content/features (and sometimes the template) easier

HTH,

Jeremy

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Since you are already learning Python, why not stick to that rather than also learning PHP? Plus it has the advantage of being infinitely better than the steaming pile of excrement that is PHP.

Django is the web framework that you will most likely want to use.

You will still need to learn HTML, CSS and Javascript to get the most out of it though. But you would have to learn those no matter what you did so it makes no difference.

8. Nsutton thread starter macrumors member

Nsutton

Sweet! :D

I had no idea Python could run web frameworks.. Thanks

9. stodge macrumors member

Web design and web development are two different things.

HTML is not code; it's a markup (descriptive) language. PHP and Python are programming/scripting languages. Joomla is a content management system I believe. Drupal is another content management system.

Do you primarily want to design (CSS/HTML) or develop (PHP/Python/Java/Javascript etc)?