Joost - Any luck running this program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JLN, Oct 3, 2007.

1. JLN macrumors newbie

JLN

I just downloaded the new Joost free TV program and although I readily admit it's quite new of a release (beta came out less than a week ago) I was wondering if anyone had any luck in running this program.

I'm running the new MBP 15" standard model and it seems to crash on me every time I start the program, with an error "graphics failed to load" of some sort. No worries on a solution however I was wondering if anyone has been successful in running the program.

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I have used joost in the past and I did not have any problems with it.
    I haven't used it recently though.

3. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

It's worked fine on my C2D Macbook, but I uninstalled it already. Sounded a lot better than it actually was. Offered a lot things I can go find on Youtube. It's a good start, but the content makes it useless to me personally.

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Actually it's been around for well over a year, since I've been a tester for it that long :). I haven't had any problems running it lately on my MBP?

It's probably not worth it anyways. I think it's overhyped, unstable, slow, and buggy as all get out.

5. Slumbercub macrumors regular

I did run it for a while with no problems whatsoever. The applicaton itself is quite nice, very responsive and easy to use. It is just a shame that the content comprised all the dross that wasn't good enough to get onto the networks. I don't think I found one decent programme to watch.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The killer for me is that the license agreement specifically allows the company to sell processor power, space and bandwidth on MY machine to others.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Just got an email about a new version, have not downloaded that one. No problems with past releases.

8. Setmatch macrumors newbie

9. lazydesi macrumors 6502

10. ClaphamChris macrumors regular

Gosh, I hadn't noticed that. The killer for me up until now has been that the content has been pretty dreadful. However, that killer has now been relegated by yours. Not liking that at all.

11. Slumbercub macrumors regular

That's outrageous! Perhaps I should read the EULAs in future (who does that - apart from CanadaRAM :D ) Anyway, it didn't last long on my HD and will not be back on it anytime soon.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The pre-beta 1.0 Joost has been out for ages, it has been pretty solid on my Macbook, but the lack of content ruins it...
    It works by user-distribution, like Skype and Limewire AFAIK, meaning that it has to use your machine's stuff to work :)

13. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

At least its not just me! When I installed the new 1.0Beta I just get a cross over the icon and a message saying 'cannot start on this machine' when I try to run it.

Tried zapping it with Appzapper and reinstalling again fresh and then got the new error:
    'You cannot open the application "Joost" because the application is damaged or incomplete.'

Zapped it again and re-installed the old version which works fine...
    I'm on a C2D Macbook Pro SR running 10.4.10 :(

14. JLN thread starter macrumors newbie

JLN

Ah. Well it listed on the website pretty recent; my mistake. Anyways, I'm not sure if I'll continue to pursue running this prog considering it sacrifices/sells CPU performance.

15. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Joost, isn't that great. I wish Apple would put Youtube on Frontrow like they did with the Apple TV but so far according to the screenshots Leopard's Frontrow won't have it.

16. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

works fine for me as well! But there is a new release out...as of yesterday. So maybe try that.

17. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

CanadaRAM, always enjoy reading your informative posts. Thanks for posting this, didn't realize. Bye bye Joost ... delete ...

18. JLN thread starter macrumors newbie

JLN

Is this when the computer is currently running the program or even when it's not in use?

19. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i time ago there whereproblems with joost starting up tht you needed to press special buttons en so but now it's works fine. with the newest version

20. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I believe it's only when the computer is running. Probably acting like Bit Torrent where you are a seed for others.