Journal Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Sep 13, 2007.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Just switched from Windows to Mac since last Wednesday. So far . . . things have gone well, thanks in large part to the help I have received on this forum. You folks are great ! Thank you.

One last (I hope) request: On the Windows machines for the past 12 years I have used a small program called Windows Journal. This was a VERY simple program that performed one function, and performed it perfectly. It provided a blank page (formatted by me in advance) on which daily events that needed to be remembered could be recorded. The key feature of the program was an outstanding, super-fast search function. I was able to go back for years to find some item or event in seconds.

Is there such a program for the Mac. I just want something SIMPLE such as the Windows program described above.

Thanks for your help and comments.

Regards,
    L

2. Slumbercub macrumors regular

You have come up against your first problem with using a Mac; this is one area where Macs absolutely leave Windows in the shade as you will be spoilt for choice when it comes to journaling/personal information managers.

There are various apps available ranging from very simple notepads all the way up to very powerful database. My recommendation would have to be one of three apps:

NoteBook
    VooDooPad
    Journler

and plenty more choices here:

http://www.pure-mac.com/pims.html

:)

3. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks for the information. I looked at these three programs, and it appears the only application that provides a search function is "Journaler."

Journaler seems to be a rather comprehensive program, maybe too much for my requirements.

Would love to hear from some Journaler users.

Thanks.

4. willgr macrumors newbie

mori

Take a look at Mori. I use it to take notes of on-going projects and tasks on a daily basis.

I found it to be very clean interface wise (not something all of the others excel at) and more than featured enough for my needs.

5. Slumbercub macrumors regular

All three of the apps I mentioned have a search function, the NoteBook indexing feature is amazing. It will automatically create an index all the information in your notes as you work. If you need to do a more refined search it has a Super-Find function that will find information by creation date, modification date, text term, highlight colour, priority, etc... endless configuration depending on your useage.

Did you watch the demo movie?

6. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Downloaded MacJournal. A little expensive, but it sure looks good. I paid for the license, so I guess I have to live with the results . . . . but so far it seems like a pretty good choice.

9/15/07 UPDATE: After using MacJournal for a couple of days, I can strongly recommend it for anyone looking for a good Personal Journal program. Excellent ! !

Thanks again for your comments.
    Regards,
    L