Journalist seeks editors

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by watha, Mar 31, 2008.

1. watha macrumors newbie

I'm writing about the competition between Apple, Avid and Adobe in the digital editing business. I'd like to hear from professional editors about which products they use and why. I want the story to include your name, age, occupation and the community where you work.

This is on the level. Check the link below for examples of my work.

Interested? Please contact me ASAP. Thanks.

Hiawatha Bray
    Technology Reporter
    Boston Globe
    135 Morrissey Blvd.
    P.O. Box 55819
    Boston, MA 02205-5819 USA
    617-929-3119 voice
    617-929-3183 fax
    617-233-9419 cell
    bray@globe.com
    Recent writings: http://tinyurl.com/ypuyt5

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'm sure you already have, but be sure to poll other forums as well. Myself and the vaaaast majority of users on these forums stand by FCP with a vengeance.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

great article DH. I'm sitting at a Media Composer/Adrenaline edit bay and finding myself hating it more and more each day.... I guess it makes my time on FCP at home more fun/enjoyable.

4. watha thread starter macrumors newbie

Fascinating stuff. Would any of you care to chat at greater length about it? Thanks.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

My college uses both Avid and just got a new Mac Pro with FCS. I think a lot of students/younger age people tend to like FCS more.....
    I live by Final Cut. Its a lot more user friendly IMO also a lot cheaper (for a student) then Avid

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The EDU price for Media Composer is actually cheaper than the EDU for FCP.

I think the blog -DH posted is a little over the top. As much as Avid has lost it's luster in recent years it's still the most used system for "big budget" projects for more reasons than that people paid $50-$60,000 dollars for one a few years ago, and, by god they want to get their money's worth. Avid, while not foolproof, is proven at the high-end while the jury is still out on FCP. Apple, I think, will decided how far FCP climbs. If they are willing to take development and support to the next level (that of a company who really wants to meet the needs of the post/production field) the sky is the limit for FCP, but if FCP continues along it's current path (being a bit of after thought to consumer hardware/software) I don't think it will make the impact on the high end of the market. The QT 7.4 update that brought new functionality to Apple's consumer demographic, but screwed their FCP demographic, is a recent example of this. Will the Pro Apps ever be Apple's main priority? Probably not. But if they aren't a high enough priority they'll stagnate and the pro users will move on.

A telling point is still this. FCP being used to cut an award winning film or prime time TV show is still note worthy while the same is merely par for the course in Avid land.

Ultimately they are two separate tools with separate strengths and weaknesses. Competition is good, so I wouldn't want to see either one fall off the face of the earth.

Lethal

7. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Very true!

- Martin (FCP user)