Journler - long term viability

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Walkling, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Walkling macrumors newbie

I've started using Journler and I love its features. However, I am concerned about the long term viability of ANY software I invest time using. It would be quite problematic to store thousands of hours of important information here and find it was not accessible in the future. Am I just being paranoid? If necessary, is there a way to convert journler files to word?

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

You should see if you can post or search the export features on the Journler forums for the best answer:

http://journler.com/community/forums/index.php

You're right though, no software is ever going to be fully future proof from OS upgrades or any number of unforeseen events. I would never fully trust any one application or computer platform for that matter with information you intend to keep for years or decades.

Personally, I use Evernote, and for my 'critical' information, this is how I handle it:

1. Save each item as .txt file (copy / paste if no export is available). I don't worry about the formatting... this can be handled later if needed. Only the content is truly important. Something like TXT will be readable by some application on any platform, past, present or future in our lifetime (and probably beyond).

2. Print a copy to paper and put it in a binder. These copies can always be scanned and use OCR to translate back to workable text. Worst case, type it out again.

Don't count on Journler lasting more than a few years or being able to run it. Very few things do. I don't know that I would trust Word or PDF compatibility either over the long haul.

Good luck -

Wayne