Joystick Assuming Control of Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TPA5, Apr 10, 2012.

1. TPA5, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

TPA5 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I purchased one of these little numbers: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-3emk.html

I want to play some old SNES games I have, without actually pulling out my old SNES. It's in my crawlspace which is dark, cold, scary, and I'm fairly sure there's a hobo living in it. So I purchased one of these guys instead.

Problem is, when I plug it into my iMac and stick a controller into it, my mouse no longer works and the adapter says "Assuming direct control of this form*" and proceeds to try and control my cursor.

This is less than convenient.

Is there any sort of joystick calibration/control software for the iMac? Am I missing something? Have I lost my mind and am actually living in an alternate universe where joysticks are supposed to control cursors?

Any help/insight is much appreciated!

With thanks,
    Trevor A.

*I feel like I should note, the adapter doesn't actually say that. Just a Mass Effect reference...Nothing to see here.

2. TPA5 thread starter macrumors newbie

No one's had this problem ever? I've seen a few threads about joysticks, but no one has mentioned any issues. Perhaps I am missing something?

3. TPA5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Resurrect, thou lost thread; bring fruit to my life, and reveal to me thy secrets contained within!

Seriously though, this is getting frustrating. I'd like to think I have at least average intelligence, but I just cannot figure this out.