JP: US keyboards in Macbooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylera, Feb 22, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Can anyone who either is living in Japan or has visited the offline Japanese Apple Stores confirm that Macbooks (Air/Pro) are sold with either JP or US keyboards? Apparently the online store allows such a customization.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I can't confirm 100%, but I suspect so, considering the demand that they must have for that (I spent a fair amount of time in Japan). Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm.

jW

3. nastebu macrumors 6502

Yes, but smaller Apple stores might be out. Call ahead first to confirm they have one in stock.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Stores typically do not carry other keyboards than the one standard to whatever nation the store is located in.

5. dziewuliz macrumors member

I work in one, and we have both US and JP models in stock. Unless there's a new update on the way, you should always be able to get yourself a US keyboard version, especially because customers here prefer JP ones.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Not apparently--you can select US or JP keyboard on the Japanese online store (and the US keyboard Macs come with English user manuals, as slim as those are these days). It's good to know, though, that you can also get one in person in Japan.

I really appreciate that recently Apple has been offering your choice of US, Japanese, French, or Spanish keyboards/manuals on the US online store; I remember when getting your hands on a Japanese iMac keyboard meant importing one yourself (which I actually did at one point).