.jpg file "Save As" problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pja2536, Aug 28, 2015.

1. pja2536 macrumors newbie

pja2536

Hi!

I seem to have an issue with saving image files that has just recently surfaced.

If I have a .jpg file that I want to edit (using Acorn or PHotoResize Pro or even just Preview) the Save As process saves the file as a .jpeg NOT as a .jpg. This means I now have TWO files - the original .jpg file and the new modified .jpeg file and I have to delete the original .jpg file.

I recently upgraded Acorn but am not sure that the upgrade caused the problem. However, using "Save As" on a .jpg file saved it as a .jpg file.

This is becoming quite tiresome. Is there a way that I can get my Mac to recognise .jpg as .jpeg and visa versa?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

What OS?
    Normally the "Save As" option does not overwrite the open file, but creates a new file with a new name. The original file will remain without edits and the original name. The "Save" option should be used to overwrite the open file (including any changes) with the same name as the open file. No new name file.

3. pja2536, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

pja2536 thread starter macrumors newbie

pja2536

I AGREE! But that's not how Preview and Acorn are behaving on my Mac.

Here is an experiment that I have just tried:

1. I downloaded a picture from the web to use as a screen background. The image was 2016x1344 pixels and was a jpg file.
    2. Opening the file with Preview I selected Tools->Adjust Size and changed the image width to 1920 (and height to 1280) and selected File->Save
    3. Finder shows the image size as 2016x1344 - clearly it has NOT changed - However, "Get Info" shows that the file size is definitely 1920x1280 - so Finder is reporting an INCORRECT IMAGE SIZE
    4. Open the image file with Acorn and using the "Crop" tool resize the image to 1920x1200 and selected File->Save
    5. Finder shows the image file size as 1920x1280 (the size before using Acorn to re-size the file)- However, "Get Info" shows that the file size is definitely 1920x1200 - so Finder is jet again reporting an INCORRECT IMAGE SIZE
    6. Open the file with Preview I selected Tools->Adjust Size and changed the image width to 1440x900 and selected File->Save
    7. Finder now shows the image size as 1920x1200 - clearly it has NOT changed - However, "Get Info" shows that the file size is definitely 1440x900 - so Finder is reporting an INCORRECT IMAGE SIZE

See the attached file it shows an image size of 2016x1344 but the real image size is 1920x1200.

I now deleted the file and downloaded the same file again and repeated the same steps as above but instead of using "File->Save" for the file I used "File->Save As" - BOTH Preview and Acorn use a file type of JPEG for "Save As"

8. Opening the file with Preview I selected Tools->Adjust Size and changed the image width to 1920x1280 and selected File->Save As
    9. Finder shows the image size as 1920x1280 - so Finder is reporting the CORRECT IMAGE SIZE
    10. Open the image file with Acorn and using the "Crop" tool resize the image to 1920x1200 and selected File->Save As
    11. "Save As" in Acorn has created a new file with the size of 1920x1200 but with the file type .jpeg (NOT .jpg) - I now have TWO files
    12. Finder shows the new image file size as 1920x1200 and the "original" file with a file size of 1920x1280 (as you would expect)
    13. Open the "new" file with Preview I selected Tools->Adjust Size and changed the image width to 1440x900 and selected File->Save As - Preview "replaces the existing file and does NOT create a new file
    14. Finder now shows the image size as 1440x900 - so Finder is reporting an CORRECT IMAGE SIZE

So, when I "Save" a file with either Preview or Acorn, Finder is NOT updating the new file size and when I use "Save As" the file sizes are being updated by Finder but Acorn is creating a new file (even when I have specified the old file name) - Acorn is changing the file type from JPG to JPEG

Just had one last look and Acorn is appending ".jpeg" onto the file name when using "Save As" - I'll take that up with them.

However, I still seem to have inconsistencies with saving files.

Regards,
    Peter

Attached Files:

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I understand better now. I'm sorry, but I do not know the answer. I hope someone else on the forum can assist you. :(

BTW, I see the attached jpg as 168x154 pixels when I click on it.

5. RonV_AU macrumors newbie

As a workaround, use "Save all" attachments. Even if there's only one .JPG attachment it is saved with that extension bypassing the error. Downside is sometimes there are some logo graphics in the email and they are then saved too - but this in my view takes less time to delete these.

Regards
    Ron