Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I've just exported a load of photos from my Mac photos library to Lightroom and I have lots of duplicates but with different formats. I've ended up with a JPG version and a HEIC version in Lightroom.

Which one should I delete? I can't tell a difference visually but the HEIC format is a smaller size.

Thanks

James

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I've just exported a load of photos from my Mac photos library to Lightroom and I have lots of duplicates but with different formats. I've ended up with a JPG version and a HEIC version in Lightroom.

Which one should I delete? I can't tell a difference visually but the HEIC format is a smaller size.

Thanks

James

Reactions: JamesMay82

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
If you don't want to keep both formats, HEIC is arguably the better one. The challenge with it is that it isn't universally compatible yet. For example, this site doesn't accept HEIC images for posting (or didn't not too long ago when I tried). This means you have to export them as JPEG. If you do any sort of post processing on your images, HEIC might give you some more headroom to do so and then you can export them as JPEG for posting elsewhere.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Thanks and do you know how I've ended up with a photo in each format? is it just how apple photos exports them? Since upgrading to IOS 16 I've just updated the settings to apples raw photo option which appears to save them in DNG. I must admit most of my phone photos are disposable images but I'd like to capture the best quality just if I get any key moments with the kids etc.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I don't shoot much with an iPhone so I don't know why both of those formats show up in Lr (Capture One user too, so can't help there either :)). It may be buried in the iPhone Camera or Photos (Transfer to Mac/PC) settings. It may be something Lr does automatically to give you the best compatibility (dunno though).

To the other part of your question, DNG should give you the best file malleability. You can do a lot to recover shadow detail, adjust white balance, maybe grab some highlight detail if not pegged, adjust noise and so forth. You wouldn't normally have as many or as much of these capabilities with HEIC and certainly JPEG. DNG files will be larger though, usually much larger, so you should watch out for that if space is at a premium on various devices.

Reactions: JamesMay82

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
If you don't want to keep both formats, HEIC is arguably the better one. The challenge with it is that it isn't universally compatible yet. For example, this site doesn't accept HEIC images for posting (or didn't not too long ago when I tried). This means you have to export them as JPEG. If you do any sort of post processing on your images, HEIC might give you some more headroom to do so and then you can export them as JPEG for posting elsewhere.
All you have to do is right click -> quick actions -> convert image

Reactions: r.harris1

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My opinion only.

JPEG is a universal format. Nearly everything can read and display it.

HEIC... not so much.
When HEIC nears the "universality" of jpeg, THEN it will become a format I would want to use long-term. But not until then.

Reactions: Ray2 and JamesMay82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.