JS RegularExpression for MAC file path

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by vphope, Jan 9, 2008.

1. vphope macrumors newbie

Hi

I am looking for a javascript regular expression to validate MAC file path

Example : path/to/filename.txt

Thanks
    V

2. numero macrumors regular

This is the closest I found for a spec, but the page I need to see is gone.

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150.html#CanonicalDecomposition

It would be nice to be able to find this page.
    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150table.html

The Unicode Decomposition table contains a list of characters that are illegal as part of an HFS Plus string, and the equivalent character(s) that must be used instead. Any character appearing in a column titled "Illegal", must be replaced by the character(s) in the column immediately to the right (titled "Replace With").​

If you come up with the list of illegal characters I can help you with the regex. The easy illegal character is ":", but this missing link promises some others.

-numero

3. vphope thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for ur response.
    I dont have any clue what might be the 'illegal' characters for MAC, i am using it for 1st time in my life :)

I found this regular Expression but giving error when i use with javascript (Invalid '(' )

^[/]*([^/\\ \:\*\?"\<\>\|\.][^/\\\:\*\?\"\<\>\|]{0,63}/)*[^/\\ \:\*\?"\<\>\|\.][^/\\\:\*\?\"\<\>\|]{0,63}$

var path = ifile.value;
    var myRegExp = /^[/]*([^/\\ \:\*\?"\<\>\|\.][^/\\\:\*\?\"\<\>\|]{0,63}/)*[^/\\ \:\*\?"\<\>\|\.][^/\\\:\*\?\"\<\>\|]{0,63}$/;

if (myRegExp.test(path) == false )
    {
    alert(false);
    } else
    {
    alert(true);
    }

Any help is appreciated..
    Thanks
    V

4. numero macrumors regular

I haven't read through the expression very carefully, but the first thing I see is that:
    ^[/]*([
    should probably be
    ^[/]*\([

I come to this conclusion because the closing ")" has a slash before it.

Some regex implementations use just ( and ) to surround expressions and some use \( and \). Looks like this system is using /( and /) (notice the direction change).

Let me know if this fixes it. If not then I'll dig a little deeper.

-numero

5. AussieSusan macrumors member

Don't really know javascript, but if the / is being used a string delimiter, then you will need to quote all of the /'s used within the regex pattern

Susan

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Indeed, and here's what you need as a result,

Code:
    var myRegExp = /^[\/]*([^\/\\ \:\*\?"\<\>\|\.][^\/\\\:\*\?\"\<\>\|]{0,63}\/)*[^\/\\ \:\*\?"\<\>\|\.][^\/\\\:\*\?\"\<\>\|]{0,63}$/;

The only from yours was as the above posters state all '/' were replaced with '\/' except for the first and last ones of course. I use BBedit and it's color-coded syntax was able to tell when the expression was correct (all of the text was blue), which was very helpful here. Just thought I'd mentioned that.