Judging Hard Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alex.purple.mac, Jun 3, 2010.

1. alex.purple.mac macrumors member

I would like to upgrade the hard drive on my macbook. I have the first generation intel macbook, with the (terribly small) 80gb hard drive. I was wondering what to look for when upgrading to a larger hard drive, apart from size and price obviously.

I was only looking to upgrade to about 160gb max, as most of my content is backed up on my hard drive anyway. What could i expect to pay for that size hard drive? Where is a good place in the UK to buy from, either online or in store?

Alternatively, what is stopping me opening up my external hard drive and putting that in my macbook?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Don't get 160GB, 320GB is only few pounds more. Get this

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

If you don't mind me asking, and if you have the time, could you explain some of the things that i am unsure about. For example;

1) What is the cache? And what is a good amount?
    2) What is OEM?
    3) What is SATA / SATAII?
    4) What are the compatibility issues with a hard drive? For example, could i buy any 2.5 inch hard drive and put it in my mac?

Thanks

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache

Basically, data that is used a lot can be stored there for faster access. 8MB is fine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OEM

Don't worry about this

Interface of the drive. Your MacBook has SATA I, but SATA II is backwards compatible, so SATA II HD works

Yes, as long as it's not taller than 9.5mm

6. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Ok cool, thanks for your help.

I know western digital is a good make, but is it much better than other makes? Are they justified in the premium they charge?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They don't charge premium, usually I find them being the cheapest option. I personally prefer WD but other makes are fine too

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

WD Scorpio Blue seems to be pretty popular around here. I have a 320g blue in my mbp. I've never had probs with it (nor any other WB laptop drives I've had )