July 11th: What's the plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Syrus28, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

    Syrus28

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Peoria, AZ
    #1
    Ok, so here's the deal. I told my dad he should "test-drive" the AT&T network before we switch over from Verizon (Thinking it was coming June 9th). The next day, he breaks his phone and signs up with a family plan AT&T contract. That was May 27th. Obviously, its not "test-driving" anymore, now that the 30 days is up so now we find ourselves in a predicament.

    Since he used both of our upgrades, we would have to pay full price for the iPhones ($499). We want to transfer over my number from Verizon, and he wants to keep his he has on AT&T. He has no problem paying the full $500, but I do not.

    I'm thinking that canceling my line on AT&T and signing up for a new contract, with my ported number, and then purchasing the iPhone at $299 would save me a little money ($175+$300 = $475), and makes things less confusing once we get there since we don't have to change numbers. Add on top of this that we are leaving for New York the next day, making it crucial that we get everything settled that day.

    Anyone see a possible alternative, or is this the best way to do it?
     
  2. elbirth macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2006
    Location:
    North Carolina, US
    #2
    sounds like a lot of hassle just to save $25, and it's not even guaranteed that it'll work that smoothly. If you're ok with spending $475 overall, just save yourself the trouble and spend $500 instead.

    Besides, once you cancel your contract, it's not a sure thing to be able to keep that number, right?
     
  3. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2008
    #3
    Well you are forgetting tax for the phone I believe your better off extending your contract and just paying the 499 and also all the time you would save would be great too.
     
  4. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Syrus28

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Peoria, AZ
    #4
    That's the thing. I don't want my AT&T number, I want to port my number from Verizon. Im just thinking it will be easier, since I don't have to change the phone number on an existing line, I would just be signing up with a fresh contact, with the number I want right from the start.

    Also, I just realized I would have to pay an activation fee if I sign up with a new contract...:mad:
     
  5. jplan2008 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    #5
    1) New activation is $36 instead of $18 for the "upgrade." You'd be saving $7.
    2) You can't "port" your number from one contract to another AT&T contract. You can split up the family plan without paying the ETF, but then you'd keep the same upgrade eligibility (none), or you could just get your own account and lose your phone number to save $7.
    3) You wouldn't be able to share minutes, so depending on your voice and text needs, would probably end up paying more every month for two years to save $7 on July 11.

    Alternative? Sell your current phone on ebay (or wherever); wait until you have the money; wait 18-24 months until you're eligible; wait X months and go without iPhone or any data and put those $30/month saved on data towards the iPhone; but DON'T do what you're suggesting to try to save $7.
     
  6. jplan2008 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    #6
    Sorry, missed that about you still having Verizon number. Why don't you just port your number now to AT&T? No reason to wait until July 11, since your Dad already committed to the family plan. Yeah, the activation makes it definitely not worth it, and except for the unclear texting plans for family plans family plans end up being cheaper.
     
  7. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Syrus28

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Peoria, AZ
    #7
    That makes sense...:eek: Thanks, I'll just do that.
     
  8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    #8
    Also, if you cancel and then immediate re-sign up, I'd bet they wouldn't give you any discounts at all. You still wouldn't be a new customer, and in fact you wouldn't be the most reliable customer, so they might even make you pay a deposite when you re-signed up.
     

Share This Page