July 2007 MBP - Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sammy2066, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

So I have 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro purchased last August. I'm having several issues with this machine.

1) My USB 2.0 external HDD works on the left USB port, but makes a "clicking" noise when i connect it to the right side USB port.

2) My DVD drive is not working for well over 6 months now. It died a very slow death. It went from being able to read discs partially, to the point where it spits out anything I put inside.

3) This machine gets reeally hot even during normal usage. I've used other people's MBPs and they don't get nearly as hot as mine.

Now, I have AppleCare for this machine, so I'm gonna be taking it to an Apple Store sometime in early August as I'm out of the country.

What is the standard procedure for repairs?

1) They definitely have to replace the DVD drive, so that's not going to be on the spot.

2) If there's something wrong with the USB ports, then I'm assuming they have to change the motherboard?

3) If they acknowledge the problem with overheating, wouldn't they have to reapply the thermal grease and stuff?

I'd appreciate any help on this issue.

Cheers,
    Sam

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes, it will need to be taken in and have the logic board (motherboard) and DVD replaced
    the new logic board includes a new cpu and heatsink, so the heat problem should be sorted as well

3. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's awesome! But how long will the repair take? The MBP is my primary work machine, I can't really get any work done without it! Is it possible that they might give me a Penryn MBP replacement if I rant a lot?

I mean it could be any MBP ... the work matters the most.

4. panosg77 macrumors newbie

These are serious issues my friend :S I do have the same MBP model but haven't had any problems so far (at least not yet :S).

As for your questions:

1) Yes, this procedure will take a while I guess, since they will have to disassemble your MBP in order to get to the DVD drive.

2) Most probably yes. This sounds a lot like a logic board issue.

3) Yes they will. The positive thing in your case is that Apple have already acknowledged these issues.

I hope that your MBP gets fixed soon. I don't know however if you'll get a replacement. Things in the US are far better when it comes to Apple Care than things here in Greece.

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

I have the same model as well, and had several (small) issues, that required nearly everything to be replaced (screen, case, isight, logic board - and therefore cpu, gpu etc)
    it was basically a new macbook pro! but i got it back in 4 days (i think this is quicker than average)

anyway, afaik, you should be able to get a replacement if you have more than 3 problems with the mbp - but if you rant a bit, and say you MUST have the laptop for work, you may be able to get a replacement there and then - i will be demanding a replacement when i have my next problem

(so far, ive had the trackpad and keyboard fail, usb port fail, firewire socket become so loose a cable would not stay in, isight fail. all small, minor problems, but there are a lot of them!! but i still love my mbp, generally its excellent and i hated my vista desktop)

6. panosg77 macrumors newbie

Apple's quality control seems to be poor nowadays, at least poorer than it used to be. The number of MBP owners that report problems with their machines has increased over the years.

I keep my fingers crossed that my MBP won't develop any issues :S

7. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! Mch appreciated. :)

8. onejed1 macrumors newbie

I have the same MBP and the only issue i've had is that the back lighting of my screen seems to be failing in some areas. It just looks like some dead pixels (small spots, larger than 1 px size though) near the top of my screen. Its not major yet, and it seemed to have developed in the winter. If it gets worse i've got my applecare for it, but no issues other than that.

The number of MacBook pro owners these days far exceeds the number of Powerbook owners back in the PPC only days, so you will definitely see more complaints as the customer base has increased. I wouldn't would say that apple quality control has worsened, it just stayed the same, which is still pretty good as far as it stands. Most people here are very peculiar about their machines and a lot of people post only when they have problems. You don't see the many happy average/pro users happily working with their MBP issue-free.