July 5th likely new MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by islanders, Jun 27, 2011.

1. islanders macrumors 6502

1) With Best Buy no longer shipping MBA to retail stores an update is immanent.

2) Apple site claims Lion in July.

3) MBA is on 4 of the 7 Apple site Lion promotion images:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

I thought Macbook would be refreshed sooner but:

Looking more and more like July 5th (Tuesday) for both MBA and Lion.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Lion isn't even in the GM state yet so July 5th sounds way too early.

3. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Doubt it. More towards the end of July. The latest release of Lion has many bugs. I'm thinking one more release of Lion. That's why my guess is end of July.

4. islanders thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure? That's quite a dilemma. What will they do not stock the Airs so the refresh ships with Lion?

5. WissMAN macrumors regular

WissMAN

Agree, unfortunately.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are no instruction videos for the gestures yet and Apple usually notes if the build is considered as Golden Master. It will also take at least a week or two after the GM before the actual release will happen, especially if it must be pre-installed in MBAs. Of course, maybe MBAs will come with SL instead, nobody knows for sure.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

And I'm sure Apple is building the new MBAs now to build up stock and it will take some time to install Lion on all those new machines.

8. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

well, they said lion comes in july, i don't think it will be THAT early in july. maybe tuesday 12?

9. Obi Wan Kenobi macrumors 6502

Obi Wan Kenobi

Sounds a bit optimistic, but would like it if you were right.

10. islanders thread starter macrumors 6502

I would rather not have Lion installed. Sort out the bugs first then upgrade.

Still, no Airs in inventory at Best Buy warehouse is good reason to release them sooner than later.

Thanks for the info.. this will be fun when it happens. :p

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

You really don't want Lion in it's current state.

DP 4 is very, very buggy.

Mid to late July is much more likely.

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

13. michaelz macrumors regular

As long as I can pre-order one on July 5th. I don't care when they ship it!:mad:

14. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

My guess is July 19th, gives them enough time to work out the kinks in lion, plus install lion on the new MBA's. Also its a Tuesday, which they seem to like.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple doesn't do pre-orders. If you order an MBA on July 5 you're not guaranteed to get the Sb model. Apple hasn't even announced a new MBA, and they don't take orders for un-announced products.

When they do announce a new product it's available for order (and often in the stores) on the day it's announced.

16. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I think Tuesday the 12th is a good guess. With Bestbuy and Amazon starting to show signs of being depleted of supply, a 2 week estimate sounds about right. The Lion GM will likely come out this or next week, lining things up somewhat nicely. Of course, it's all speculation right now, but I sat around and waited for the MBP refresh, and it was roughly 2 weeks from the time of Bestbuy and Amazon showing signs of a refresh that the refresh actually happened.

17. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

That 2-week guess is interesting, especially backed up by what previously happened with MBPs.

However, regarding Lion: I imagine the Airs are already packaged in their box. How are they going to install the final Lion release right before shipping to (r)etailers?

18. Cali3350 macrumors regular

They probably arent in their boxes. They are probably sitting in controlled batches fully assembled, waiting for a quick OS image to be put on and then packaged. You can do that within ~ week if you have a operation like Apple. That still only leaves a week for a golden master copy though.

19. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Or they ship the MBA with 10.6.8 on it with free upgrade to 10.7 - that sits with the "Download only" Lion model.

20. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

If I went into an Apple store today, and bought an Air - what version of the OS is on the USB stick?

10.6.6?

It would seem to make sense to me that when the new Airs are released, Lion is pre-installed on both the computers and on the USB stick. I don't think they will release MacBook Airs with an OS that is going to be updated less than 2 weeks later.

21. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

just a quick question:
    what does this have to do with the release date?

22. stevenpa macrumors 6502

Apple already said they were shipping the MBA with Lion. July 5th is way too early. Mid-July at the earliest, but at the rate its going I'd say first week of August. Been waiting forever and will probably be disappointed since the upgrade will probably be just SB and nothing else.:mad:

23. islanders thread starter macrumors 6502

The reasoning was that Airs would be released with Lion as it's their primary promotional platform. Thus they would both be released together in July.

This is the last Tuesday in June and so far no MBA. I guess we will see.

At least making a estimated guess got some others in the know to offer their insights.

Now it looks like MBA refresh:

July 5th would be the earliest and unlikely that Lion Gold is ready so it would ship with a sticker on the box "free Lion upgrade" so that shelfs won't be empty.

July 12th earliest to have both new MBA and Lion.

24. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Has Apple ever done such a thing??

25. htpw16 macrumors member

That is most likely true. But if I remember correctly I believe that was a rumor and not Apple saying it.