July sales figures

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

NDP is in. Bit of a switcheroony too-

PS3 broke through 100k barrier! Congrats! But didn't get past the 360, which all the analysts were predicting.

Anyone care to do some number crunching? It's 1:37am here :)

2. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I honestly can't believe the Wii is selling so well STILL. I expected sales to drop off by now. But now it's even outselling the DS!

Amazing.

PS3 is finally starting to see some decent numbers too. And the PSP, it seemed to do fairly well.

Good stuff all around for the industry, I say.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Not for sony, price cut and still can't beat MS. Funny thing is, I remember somebody here saying that Wii Sports alone couldn't sustain Wii sales too far into 07...

missing software figures too:

Top 10 SKU's for July
    360 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 1 397k
    PS2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S ACTIVISION (CORP) 2 339k
    WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 278k
    PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 236k
    WII MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO OF AMERICA 5 177k
    PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 156k
    NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7 144k
    PS2 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION (CORP) 8 143k
    PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 9 138k
    360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 10 108k

stolen from GAF:

[​IMG]

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I still know people that are looking fro Wiis.

<]=)

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Whoa, Sky Blue :eek:

If it's doing this well now imagine what will happen once Wii Fit, Brawl and Galaxy are released?

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

that's a pretty hefty chart... how the wii can sell so good with little game support makes me wonder how well it's gonna sell with the flow of games coming the next months
    if they can sustain perhaps 600k on average per month for the rest of the year that means around 3 millions ... not counting additional christmas business, additiona lhardware pushed through games and europe

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

This is the first month we've actually had any stock of Wii's since launch. Normally they come in and go right back out again.

I think the 360 will do well this month. Launch of the Elite in Europe, and September is a good month for games.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo's got a big head start on this generation; the Wii's selling at a profit, remember, even with a bundled game.

Every Wii sells out...the moment Wii's are sitting on the shelves, Nintendo can drop the price to $200 and will probably still be making profit. Remove Wii Sports and they can drop it even further.

Such a price drop will reinvigorate sales and Nintendo'll still be raking in cash.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The DS's first year wasn't at all that special since the entirety of its games were GBA up-ports and N64 ports with touch control. The few unique games were really short. Same as the Wii's launch- all GameCube up-ports with added waggle, the few unique games were short (Excite Truck, Rayman, Wii Sports) or uninspiring. Although some of the GameCube ports were really, really good (Zelda, Super Paper Mario).

It took off once Mario Kart and Metroid hit, followed by Brain Age.

Wii's got Brain Age, and Mario Kart, Metroid, Mario, and Smash Bros are coming...not to mention that Nintendo's selling for a very big profit and can drop the price at any time.

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

That's what happens then the supply line is crippled and stores are only getting 2-3 at a time 9 months after launch.

Anyone still want to argue that Nintendo is not purposely creating shortages? :rolleyes:

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Can I guess a price drop to £150 in Jan/Feb? After all the big titles have hit and the Xmas period is over.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Glad to see HW & SW sales are doing so well....also glad to see Nintendo doing it big so next gen should be a must(referring to all the past talks about dropping out.)

What surpirses me is that there are really no great games out for the wii yet it runs strong on the hardware alone....the minds at Nintendo are bright as well as rich:D

MP3 seems to be the system AAA game but can it really push the console even more....how much more can it dominate as its crushing everything now.

Believe it or not the PS3 is acually outselling the 360 worldwide except for in NA.

Bless

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Outselling both competitors put together with 100k to spare is considered restricted supply?

14. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Yeah. What would be the advantage of "creating supply shortages?" I never get this arguement. Why do people think Nintendo would purposely do this? I doesn't really make any business sense. It's not like consumers go...ooh this is always sold out, I should buy it...even though I don't want it and am not going to use it. If someone wants a Wii, they are going to buy it either way. Crippling the supply does not make someone who deoesn't want a Wii to now want one. In fact, not being able to buy one may just make someone who would have bought one to forget about it...or they may buy something else instead. Crippling supply does not benefit anyone...so, the arguement that says Nintendo is doing this is complete rubbish.

15. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

How about the fact that they've sold almost 11 million consoles since launch? How about the fact that they've recently surpassed the 360 in total worldwide sales? How about the fact that gamecube did not sell nearly as well thus they might not have been expecting such sales and their facilities may not be equipped to produce units any faster? How about the fact that in July, the Wii outsold even the DS and has consistently outsold everything else?

Yes, yes I do want to argue that they are not restricting supply. :rolleyes:

16. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

The people who want Wiis should've had one by now if the supply wasn't being falsely restricted.

1. People want a Wii system.

2. Nintendo manufactures many but only ships 1/2 of the manufactured bunch to retailers, holding the other 1/2 for a further shipment date.

3. Potential Wii buyers either get a system when that meager shipment arrives, or they have to wait longer.

4. With slower, smaller shipments, Wii systems continually sell out because the demand exceeds the (artificially crippled) supply.

5. Therefore Nintendo can use the "look at the sales figures! Every Wii system shipped has sold out!" motto and look better for NPR and their investors.

People, this isn't rocket science. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...

Are you seriously telling me that all the worldwide Nintendo fanboys wouldn't have bought up all the Wii systems by now if there wasn't an artificial shortage?

9 months after launch???

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Please, do tell me how they manufactured Gamecubes for so long and refined that process to the nth degree, and a system that is practically a glorified Gamecube is impossible to manufacture quickly right off the bat?

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

lol. Half the things these anti-Nintendo people say are almost as funny as what Sony execs say (most recent being "Europe, we're not telling you what games are coming out because they're expensive").

Wii is fad. Nintendo creating false shortages. I do loffle so.

Anyone who works in retail care to compare how many Wii vs 360 or PS3 shipments they're getting? That would finally put this shortages thing to bed (despite the overwhelming evidence already pointing away from that).

Ps. Wii for first this gen. Sales overtake the DS when something average (or good but unpopular) hits. There you have it.

18. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

ok... it's not rocket science here. You really think their manufacturing facilities are equipped to produce twice as many wii than are shipping? The gamecube didn't sell anywhere remotely near as well as the wii, so they wouldn't have had facilities large enough to produce 10 times as many in the same amount of time. What, do you think they had a bunch of factories that they owned but never used?

you argument holds no basis in reality. Nintendo can't just arbitrarily multiply their production rate to an absurd degree from what it was, and they couldn't have magically known it would sell this well.

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Your arguments are vaild and make perfect business sense, +1. However thats why no one in these forums will understand them and will make asinine remarks to them.

Logic doesn't fare too well here Zero, you should know this by now. ;)

Ed

20. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Why does it matter if Nintendo is creating shortages?

Who really cares that much? :rolleyes:

21. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

even if they are holding some back, its how many they sell that matters. If its more than the others than its more. who cares. Nintendo is doing a good job getting their name back in the game. People are FINALLY coming back to fun games instead of games with crazy graphics and worthless stories and are so impossible the average person can't beat them.

WHO CARES!

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

So how come we can order large quantities of Wii's at work and have them delivered the next day? Or are Nintendo holding stock back elsewhere so that a small electronics shop in a small town in south Wales can have a constant supply?

I doubt it.

The simple fact is that the Wii is an unqualified success.

23. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

And just like that BoyBach put an end to the shortages theory :)

Still wish Brawl was coming out in 08 for us chaps though :eek: what do we need to do Nintendo? Buy more systems per capita than the US?

24. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You're right Ed, I forgot that I should not throw rocks at the hornet's nest. :rolleyes: :D

25. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

So your argument is that the only reason the Wii is still selling so well is because Nintendo is crippling the supply line, and that all of these sales should have been made months ago?

It's a valid argument, but do you know for a fact that Nintendo is crippling the supply line or is it just an educated guess?

Unless you know for a fact how many Wii's are being produced in contrast to how many are being released to retailers, it's just an opinion.

Speaking of asinine remarks.

How about you actually contribute to the thread rather than going straight for the personal attacks. :rolleyes: