jump in the pool

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
267
0
I have been reading a lot of people who are hesitant to buy now because they want to wait for the merom or santa rosa chips to come out. I have been hesitant myself...but i realized something.

With technology, especially apple, you have to jump in sooner or later because if you dont you will never buy another computer again. Things are always going to get better and better. By the time the Santa Rosas are released do you not think there will be whispers of an even better upgrade coming in a few months? That will make you hesitant too!

Buying macs is like buying the Star Wars trilogy on dvd...no matter which one you decide to buy there will always be a different version coming out within a year that you will have to buy.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Good advice. You (anyone) should also take into consideration your need. If the computer that's available today suits a need that isn't filled by what you have, then snap at it. Who cares? Of course they're always obsoleted. But I've had so much fun with my first Mac, which is going to be three years old in December.
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
evanrousso said:
I have been reading a lot of people who are hesitant to buy now because they want to wait for the merom or santa rosa chips to come out. I have been hesitant myself...but i realized something.

With technology, especially apple, you have to jump in sooner or later because if you dont you will never buy another computer again. Things are always going to get better and better. By the time the Santa Rosas are released do you not think there will be whispers of an even better upgrade coming in a few months? That will make you hesitant too!

Buying macs is like buying the Star Wars trilogy on dvd...no matter which one you decide to buy there will always be a different version coming out within a year that you will have to buy.
Yes technology changes every second... blah blah. blah. However, it is foolish not to wait 2 weeks for the next tech to show up.

Now would I wait the 4-6 months or whatever for Santa Rosa? No. If I didnt need a computer right away maybe.

Basically there should be a limit you should place no yourself.

#1 If I need it now: Buy
#2 If there is something new in 1-2 months and I can wait: Wait
#3 If there is something new in 4-6 months: see #1, if no wait as long as you can
 

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
371
0
i am waiting for merom only because it is supposed to be only weeks off. how stupid would it be to get stuck with a 32 bit processor when you can have a 64 just a few days later? everyone says its only a 15% or so increase... but considering that no one is really taking advantage of 64 bit registers just yet, how can we really know how useful it might be?

i see it like buying an agp video card the week before the pci-e stuff hit. ill wait a little bit and if nothing pops up soon ill switch.

it is very hard though! :(
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,565
95
If you don't do anything more than surf the net/email/gaming then the 64 bit won't make any difference to you. Also they probably won't be taking advantage of 64 bit for a long time. By then you will need a new computer. And having a 32 bit doesn't make it obsolete! But if you are a high end user you should probably wait

matttrick said:
i am waiting for merom only because it is supposed to be only weeks off. how stupid would it be to get stuck with a 32 bit processor when you can have a 64 just a few days later? everyone says its only a 15% or so increase... but considering that no one is really taking advantage of 64 bit registers just yet, how can we really know how useful it might be?

i see it like buying an agp video card the week before the pci-e stuff hit. ill wait a little bit and if nothing pops up soon ill switch.

it is very hard though! :(
 

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
371
0
viccles said:
If you don't do anything more than surf the net/email/gaming then the 64 bit won't make any difference to you. Also they probably won't be taking advantage of 64 bit for a long time. By then you will need a new computer. And having a 32 bit doesn't make it obsolete! But if you are a high end user you should probably wait
no but considering i am persuing a computer science degree, for me at least id prefer the power. :D
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,565
95
matttrick said:
no but considering i am persuing a computer science degree, for me at least id prefer the power. :D
Ok then you wait too :D Not many low end users on MR it seems I am a small minority :p I suppose MBP is a bit overkill for web surfing too but hey it was a gift
 

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
1,319
0
Yup waiting sucks, if you need a computer and something is going to come out in a few weeks then wait but dont wait 6 months for something that you need today.
 

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
265
5
United States
I think the people waiting for Santa Rosa (possibly myself included) are just waiting because they're in the market for a computer within the Nov/Dec '06 to May '07 time frame. Merom will be available before then, but I think they can probably get by until Santa Rosa is released. Plus, Leopard should be pre-installed on computers with Santa Rosa.

Recall that Santa Rosa brings faster 800MHz FSB, 802.11n, Robson flash memory, and GMA X3000 for those computers with integrated graphics.