Jump to beginning of iMessage?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by 67bmer, Nov 21, 2013.

1. 67bmer macrumors member

how do i get to the beginning?

I have about a years worth of texts…

Tried searching but no luck.

TIA

2. joshforman macrumors regular

jump to beginning of iMessage?

Tap the status bar, like in any other app

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There's no way to jump to the very first text. You'd need to keep hitting "load earlier message."

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Why would anyone need a year's worth of text messages ?
    Obviously, it's not a benefit in helping you to refresh your memory since you have no easy way to browse from the first message to present.

5. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

Save the texts using ibackupbot or similar then delete the whole lot from the handset.

6. hafr macrumors 68030

I archive all my e-mail conversations with friends and family, and from time to time I read a bunch of them. I don't see it as that much different from looking at old photos or reading old journal entries.

People have been saving letter correspondence since we started writing letters, is it really that strange that people do the same with texts now?

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

When I read about someone saving all their texts I like to think they are leading very adventurous lives filled with all sorts of interesting conversations. Me? I could delete my texts everyday, but I'm too lazy (which, come to think of it, might be my problem in the first place ;)).

8. hafr macrumors 68030

In the mid 90's, just when texts were becoming big, I had a friend who wrote down every single text she received in a little notebook because she wanted to remember what people had written. That was when you could only store something like 15 texts on the SIM card. She saw it as saving all postcards and letters she received.

I haven't met her in about 15 years, but I wonder if she still does it...

9. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Send her a text message - she is bound to have you in her notebook...:p

10. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Wow. I can't even imagine doing something like that.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Sounds like OCD.

12. hafr macrumors 68030

You got to remember this was back in the day, when getting five texts per day was a lot. I remember sending something like 300 texts in a month and people thought I was crazy ;) I don't remember exact prices, but I remember it was pretty darn expensive... And there were no bundles to be bought either.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Did she cut out the TV guide for each day too?

14. hafr macrumors 68030

I can't say I see the connection...

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

People need to stop using Text messages as a journal. It's intent is to communicate a short message quickly.

16. hafr macrumors 68030

Is there a fundamental difference between saving postcards and text messages?

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yes, you don't carry postcards around with you. You put them in a box where it is safe and occasionally look through them and reminisce. If text messages hold a sentimental value they should be backed up somewhere and kept safe because you never know what glitch could wipe them. If you do back them up what purpose do they suite sitting there in the messages app?

18. hafr macrumors 68030

I think you're confusing "backing up" with "moving", or you've not gotten the idea behind a backup. Either way, you're grasping at straws here...

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't understand the purpose of keeping a year's worth of text messages. If there is a lot of sentimental value there than just move it elsewhere for safe keeping and delete the message out of the messages app to keep things clean and moving along. I've noticed how slow the messages app loads when you have tons of messages. It's not pretty.

20. hafr macrumors 68030

I cleared my messages spanning back about a year (a few GB worth), I must say I didn't notice the messages app becoming any quicker... Maybe it did, without me noticing...

21. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

Court.
    Its a lot easier to head something off with a screen shot (when someone is lying and they know they are lying) than paying someone to go though your texts from the carrier or phone dump.

22. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Tap where the time is to scroll to the top.

23. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That will get you to the top but not necessarily the beginning of a message thread if it's with a lot of history.

24. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Your right, if you have more than 50 messages, only the last 50 messages will be uploaded from backing storage, the rest but manually be downloaded. No fast way of doing that.