Jump to the Iphone but ...........

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by artivideo.nl, Oct 2, 2015.

1. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

I have had several mobile phone brands starting with Nokia, Siemens, HTC, BlackBerry and my current one is a Samsung Note 1. Since my note 1 is already 3.5 years old I am ready for an upgrade. What I don't like with modern smartphones (latest version of Samsung as well as Apple) is that you can not change the battery yourself. At an Apple store they even told me to change the battery cost 180 euros which is outrageous !!! So my question to current iphone users is how long (on average) does an Apple battery last when at most charging the battery 2 time a day ? With my current note 1 I have to change the battery every 14 months. Since i replace my phones only after 3 years it can be very expensive if I have to change the battery of an Apple phone 3 times. No I don't want to buy a new smartphone every year (I am not a teenager).

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Battery exchange stateside is $79. They should be around 70 euros, off the top of my head. Have you checked apples website for your country?

3. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

I have never found the inability to replace the battery to be an issue. The last time I had a phone with removable batteries it turned out to be more of a pain in the ass to keep track of the extra battery and keep IT charged than it was worth.

My iPhone battery lasts (more than) all day in almost every case, with usually 40% or so charge remaining after a day with moderate usage. The only exception to this rule is when I spend a lot of time in an area with poor cell coverage - where the phone expends a lot of energy hunting for a better cell tower.

However, you have to consider that in an age where you can charge from any USB port - which are increasingly common - all you likely need is a handy cable to charge. Keychain cables are available from many sources if you don't want to carry a normal one. I actually have a thin 1300mah battery pack with built-in cable in my wallet in case of emergencies - but it rarely gets used.

As far as the inability to replace the battery if it were to die is concerned - I'm normally upgrading within the warranty + AppleCare window anyway, so if the battery fails, they are replacing it.

So, in short, it isn't and hasn't been an issue - and with the new iOS 9 power-saving mode, I really, really don't expect it to ever BE an issue.

4. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

First off, age has nothing to do with constant upgrades.

As for the battery, I know a few people who still have an iPhone 5. However most of them are starting to have battery problems. It's been what? About 4 years? So I'd venture to say it should be good at least 2 years. I'd probably say it would be fine at 3 though this depends on how much you have to charge it, if you let it die all the way, temperatures, etc.

You could also go with something like the Note 4, still removable battery. There are quite a few other Android phones that have user replaceable batteries too.

It's really up to you, however if you're having to replace your Note 1 battery that frequently, I'd venture to advise you to stick with a phone that has a removable battery.

5. artivideo.nl, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

artivideo.nl thread starter macrumors 6502

Please people try to read what I ask. Just want to know the lifespan of a battery (I mentioned the charging conditions) !! I am not interested in cheaper battery deals are having a second battery charged as back up.

6. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

My daughter has my 2 year old 5S which we recently took into an Apple Store to test the battery out as it was draining out in a few hours. After hooking it up, the rep said it still had 80% of its life left. Turns out that the cause of the battery drain was an app that she was using to stream music. I think any 2 year old phone that still has 80% of its battery life yet is pretty darn good.....

7. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

This is a subjective question and cannot be answered definitively. It's based on how much you use your phone, the environment, the actual battery itself has different consistencies than another, so on so forth.

In theory, most batteries under normal use in an iPhone last around 3 years, give or take. Some longer, some shorter.

It is subjective. Too many variables.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

What does age have to do with upgrading phones. There is no direct correlation between age and how often someone upgrades there phone. If anything teenagers are less likely to upgrade every year as they probably couldn't afford it. I'm not sure why you even had to mention that in your post.

9. artivideo.nl, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015

Yes I know the Note 4 is the last Samsung where you can replace the battery yourself and that is indeed an excellent alternative for an iphone 6s plus. The consideration to jump to Apple is that I have Apple computers since 2009 and the connectivity with my note 1 is none existing. Upgrading to the note 4 will give me the same issue that is why I was considering the iPhone.

Than you will loose Apple warranty.

10. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Perhaps if you're not getting the answers you want, you should contact Apple directly and ask them how many cycles their batteries are rated for? Then you can do the math on how long you should expect the batteries to last.

In any case, what kind of life people got from a 3 year old iPhone is rather meaningless, since the newer phones don't use the same batteries...

If nothing else, Apple usually stands behind their products better than many other tech manufacturers. When my iPhone 5 battery wasn't holding a charge properly, they replaced the battery for free, even though it wasn't a warrantied item. Later on, they have a battery recall on that particular unit, although that wasn't in effect when I had my battery replaced. They also replaced the battery on my MacBook Pro long ago, which again, wasn't a warrantied item. But they stood behind it anyway.

Finally, your price seems off. From the Apple website (https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_Kingdom&product=iphone), the cost for Battery Replacement Service in the Netherlands is 79 Euros. Plus 12.10 for shipping, if required. Not sure why you got a price of 180 Euros. That sounds more like the price of replacing the entire phone out of warranty.

Just my $0.02 (CDN)...

C

11. artivideo.nl thread starter macrumors 6502

Because people will say "lifespan of a battery is not important since "normal" people change there phone every year". Moreover Apple even announced a new contract type (where you pay every month a fee) to do this !!!!

12. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

How can you lose an Apple warranty if you go through Apple for the repair?

13. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Three years. It's generally after two years that the battery takes a dive.

14. artivideo.nl, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015

Yes maybe at an Apple store. Unfortunately there is only 1 in whole of The Netherlands (Amsterdam). In the rest of the country we are bound to premium resellers like for instance AMac which charge 180 euro's (and you keep the official Apple warranty).

It was not stated that it was an Apple store.

Thanks the first clear and honest reply to my question.

15. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Check the support site that I linked to. You can send it in. Save yourself 90 Euros. Yes, you'd have to be without a phone for a bit...

And if you get your phone service by Apple, no matter where in the world, you should maintain your official Apple Warranty. Which is, by the way, only one year. So after that, you can get it serviced anywhere and it's not a problem (warranty wise, at least)

C

16. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

The post you quoted for your response did state it was Apple. The response was asking if you have checked Apples website for the country you live in. That implies the poster was suggesting you go through Apple.

17. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Saying you "at most" are charging your battery 2 times a day isn't looking at the right variables. You should start with how much of a 100% battery charge (1 cycle) you go through on average each day. If you're running it down to 50% between your 2 charges you're only doing at most 1 cycle per day, but if you're running it to near-zero before each charge then you're doing at most 2 cycles per day.

In addition, there's a question of what sort of activities you're doing and how often in order to use up your phone's battery like that. THEN, the next question is would doing similar activities with a similar frequency on a current gen iPhone use less, the same, or more of a 100% charge than your current phone is using?

Once you have THAT estimate, then you could hunt down the estimated number of full charge-cycles a current gen iPhone's battery should have and come up with a final estimate on how many years of acceptable battery life you'd get out of a new iPhone.

18. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

This is spot on. iPhones use a lithium ion battery and lithium ion batteries will wear based on charge cycles. Apple claims their batteries will hold 80% of their charge with high cycle counts.

Source: http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/