Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSpence

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
I have read the novel 'Jumper', by Steven Gould multiple times since high school. It's one of my favorite books of all time, and I'd like to think I'm pretty well read. When I heard they were making a movie for it, I was excited, but after reading the synopsis for the movie and seeing the newly released trailer for it, I have to admit I am a little dissapointed :(

For anyone who has read the book, it's a great story about a kid who is in his late teens who finds he has the ability to teleport. I really liked the story because the central character Davy was an overall good person (minus the bank withdrawl). But either way, he is never trying to harm anyone, and if he is ever upset it's with good cause. A person in life who you can think was dealt a rough hand of cards to play with, but with an Ace up his sleeve.
After seeing the trailer I hate how now his charachter is a punky looking thrill seeker, who uses his "ability" for his selfish interestst. They took the book and "Hollywood-ized" it:mad: It's so dissapointing. They almost always do this to books that go onto the big screen (Timeline, Michael Chrichton anyone?) Not to say I'm not at all excited, just a little let down.

Has anyone else read this novel? Thoughts?

The tralier can be found here: http://media.movies.ign.com/media/033/033924/vids_1.html

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
looked at the trailer

Wow. That looks like a great movie. Having never read the book, though, I have no sense of disappointment. I will say that I like the idea of this Jumper guy being basically good, caught up in something. At least as far as the trailer lets you conjecture, he's kind of self-absorbed.

That said, the effects look to be great. This is a must-see.

JSpence

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
Yes, sir.

Haven't watched the trailer, but the plot summaries I've read online over the past few months seem very similar...

lol watched that one a few times. it may sound similar but quite different. No parrallel universe travel, but an individual who can teleport to any location that he has been before that he can clearly recall. If you enjoy Sci-Fi, the trailer is worth a peek.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
lol watched that one a few times. it may sound similar but quite different. No parrallel universe travel, but an individual who can teleport to any location that he has been before that he can clearly recall. If you enjoy Sci-Fi, the trailer is worth a peek.

I'll check it out!

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Took longer to load than to watch. Made me mad.

the movie had better be good as it looks after that.

Yeah, why is it that all of these movie offering sites like IGN have such terrible download speeds? 75kb/s? Come on!

That's what makes Apple's movie trailer site such a pleasure!

Movie looks pretty good by the way. Looks like the kind of movie that would be worthwhile to check out in the cinema when the time comes!

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
I really think authors need to stop selling off their right to interfere with the production of a movie. If I were an author, I would refuse to sign any contract unless there was a provision that would let me veto any decision that would ruin my story. This movie and "The Dark is Rising" are two recent examples that most people who liked the book have been disappointed with, and it really sucks.

manbss

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
Re: Jumper (Movie) Trailer. Thoughts?

Watched the tralier and its awesome. I too have read "Jumper" many times and my favorite line in the book is when Davy, answering the charge that he can't, by redeeming his mother's death, redeem all who have died, replies, "They weren't MY dead." My dead... there's emotional substance here, and elsewhere in the story. It lectures a little, but not too obviously. Again, it is the device of the love affair that saves it. Love heals, in this book.

---------------
Peter Sweeyen
If you haven't checked out book trailers, or if you want to see some really cools ones I've found a few places that are really good. My favorite is on YouTube at www.youtube.com/booktrailers, but I also like the new ones on the BN.com site at www.bn.com and go to the BN Studio, and I love the Borders Media site too.
VidLits are pretty cool www.vidlits.com.
http://www.youtube.com/booktrailers

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I saw this movie and it sucked pretty bad. The acting is bad, although I think its the director's fault. Virtually no set up for the "bad guys" and no back story for the feud between the jumpers and --whatever the name of the bad guys are. It was a little too cute that his mother turned out to be one of the bad guys. One star out of 4.

Antares

macrumors 68000
The trailer wasn't very good. However, I'm happy to report that the movie, itself, was actually pretty good! :) It had cool special effects, a fun story and pretty good acting. It's definitely worth seeing....well, renting at this point...I don't think it's in theaters any more. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised how good the movie was.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I saw the movie a while ago when it came to theaters. I wasn't surprised most of the acting was bad, look at who the main character is :)

Though, you know they're already in the works for a second one. The ending was 100% made to lead to a next film, which I hope is much better because I love Diane Lane :eek:

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
I never read the book but that sounds really crappy I wonder why they have to do that. As an author, I'd definitely never option my movie rights without a clause that I can stop production if I'm not happy with the script. Why do authors let this happen and then get perpetually burned?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I finally got around to renting the DVD and watching Jumper. Mrs. Q and I both enjoyed it, more than a lot of the movies that won Oscars this year. I recommend it to my friends and wouldn't mind watching it again.

As they explain in one of the extras on the DVD, it was their goal to make a movie where the story, not the effects, was the focus. They did a good job making the jumps look natural.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I just checked it out on RottenTomatoes.

A 15% approval rating?

A mere 3% amongst the "Top Critics"?

Well... at least my experience wouldn't be tainted by overly high expectations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.