Jumper setting for seagate drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ahmadof, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ahmadof macrumors member

i just installed a seagate barracuda 750G drive in my original (first model out) dual 2ghz G5 powermac. The drive works fine, but it came with the jumper to limit the transfer rate on. (see seagate website)

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=4a02242cb043e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

i've been searching and don't know if the controller on my machine can handle the faster transfer speed. ie, do I remove the jumper and get better performance?

2. mrcandy macrumors regular

Leave the jumper where it is. There are no drive mechanism's available which can utilize even the 150MB/s of the original SATA. Only a hardware RAID array might need more than 150MB/s.

3. ahmadof thread starter macrumors member

4. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Please provide details to your statement, otherwise, I'm going to go with 'nah, not right'

In a sequential read situation you can easily clear 150MB/s. Random I/O can't fill maybe more than 12MB/s, but sequential on a high rotation disk and you can strip data off quite fast.

5. mrcandy macrumors regular

OP didn't provide model number, but let's assume it's the newest i.e. 7200.11 - the pdf spec sheet is here. Page 10 states "Sustained data transfer OD = 105 MB/s max"

Also, Barefeats has tested a number of recent 1Tb drives here - none of the tests show an I/O rate exceeding 100MB/s, even for large sustained reads.

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

105MB/s SUSTAINED? Holy CRAP. You've got to be kidding. Just like two years ago that would've been burst rate. Wow.

7. mrcandy macrumors regular

Supposed to be very nice drives. I've got two of them sitting in their anti-static bags on my desk, waiting for my MP to arrive. 500 GB w/ 32MB buffer that will go into a RAID 0 stripe. Should get some decent performance numbers from them. Plus a 1TB external for TimeMachine backups.