Jumper Settings...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ComeOnDieYoung, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ComeOnDieYoung macrumors member

I purchased a Seagate drive for my 3.0 mac pro, the jumper limits it to 1.5gb operations as opposed to 3gb... should/can I take it out?

2. bigbird macrumors 6502

Yes, just pull the jumper out. Did the jumper to limit the drive come pre-installed? If so, that's kind of strange. I've never had internal HD's come with the limiting jumper installed.

3. Reach macrumors 6502a

All the Seagate Barracudas I've seen has had the jumper-limiter on..

I have taken them off usually, but don't know if there is a real difference to be had without RAID?

4. ComeOnDieYoung thread starter macrumors member

YES. It came pre-installed, its a Seagate like the post under yours assumed.

5. thxdave macrumors member

From what i've been able to find on the web, the jumper is installed to force the drive to work with 1st generation SATA controllers on older computers. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on the Apple FAQ's about what version of SATA controller they use, but you have to assume that it would be the latest and fastest. I got two Seagate drives in the last couple of weeks and they both had the jumper installed to force the slower data transfer speed. I pulled both of them. I haven't pulled the original WD 320 gig drive shipped with my 1/08 Mac Pro to see if it has a jumper installed. Anybody else checked theirs?

6. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Now that all my drives are installed and working properly, is it safe to just take the jumpers off?

edit : I just took them off. No noticeable change in speed (using xbench). All 5 of mine came with jumper set to limit to 1.5!

7. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Well, you're not really going to notice a difference in speed, as 1.5 Gbps is more than fast enough for any single drive out there in the world... 15K RPM drives included. You'd have to have RAID with a few drives before it mattered.