Jumping into OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miTunes75, Aug 27, 2010.

1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

I currently run Tiger 10.4.11
    Can I make the jump into 10.6 Snow Leopard with the upgrade for $29.99 or do I need to purchase something else since I'm two upgrades behind.
    I have searched different sites and the only thing that I see for sale is the 10.6 upgrade, a server version, and a mac box set for 169 which includes ilife and iwork. I could care less about ilife and iwork.
    Which option do I need to purchase to get to 10.6?

THanks

2. celticpride678

Apple claims that you can't directly upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, using the Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD, but you can.

3. kylek14 macrumors newbie

Like celticpride678 said, you can upgrade from tiger to snow leopard using the $29.99 option.

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

You are using an mac computer with an Intel CPU, right? Like an Intel Core Duo, Intel Core Solo, Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Xeon.

Now because you are using Tiger, you will need to spend $169 and get the Mac box Set. However, you can also violate the agreement and just use the $29 Snow Leopard Upgrade version. However, using the $29 upgrade version will require to format your Hard drive (losing all your data) and do a fresh install of Snow Leopard.

So, you will want to back up your home folder (one with the username)

If you are like me and use iWork and iLife and have the older versions, getting the Box Set is a good value.

5. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I am using Intel Processor, Core Duo.

THe only thing I use iLife for is iPhoto. It'd be nice to get the newer version...but if I have to, I can always buy it later. If it's REALLY worth $79 to me.

So, if I wipe everything out and reformat, will I have to dig my Tiger Discs back out or just use the Leopard disc?

6. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I've recently done an "upgrade" from Tiger to Snow Leopard and it certainly didn't format the drive - all the user's data was preserved. But i'd still highly recommend backing up your data in case of mishap.

7. gorby macrumors 6502

I recently just did a clean install from Tiger (cloned with Carbon Copy first) and it's fantastic.

The $29 upgrade disc works. I have a Leopard upgrade disc that came with my iMac but I jumped the generation, so I guess I'm not doing anything illegal if the Apple police ever knocked on my door :D

I'm actually surprised how little has changed. I'm sure there's a ton under the hood goings on, but from just my user perspective it's like Tiger but better. Which is great because I loved Tiger.

There was only one problem I ever had with Tiger and that was that Firefox would crash about 5 times a day (not to say it's Apple's "fault"), and that went away too. I'm thrilled :D

8. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

if I may expand on this further...

my mac mini's superdrive died about a year ago. I would be using an external dvd drive to install the upgrade, will that work ok on a mac if it would need to boot from the dvd drive (external)?

I rmbr back in the day, during PC times, I would have to go into BIOS and tell it what to boot from first if I want to install a new version of windows, blah blah blah....I don't have to do the same for a mac, do I?

Thanks for the help.

9. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Nah. Assuming that the external HDD is able to boot, all you need to do is hold the option key while booting, and select the HDD when it becomes available

10. davidlv macrumors 65816

Say What? The OP said "I would be using an external dvd drive to install the upgrade" so maybe we can assume he doesn't have an external HD drive?
    Still, with the Mac OS X Install DVD in the external DVD drive and the drive connected to the Mac, the Install DVD should show up when booting while holding down the "Option" key.
    Maybe ....

11. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Wow, I am tired. But yea, if OP used an external DVD DRIVE and pressed option, he should have no problem booting into the installer

12. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

bringing this back from the dead.....

I am planning on going out this week and purchasing the $29 upgrade.

1) Should I do a clean install and format or just install over tiger?
    2) I have read on several sites that people's software and stuff becomes inoperable. Such as Safari, iTunes, etc. Does this actually happen?

What are ya'lls experience. I have found that I no longer have my tiger discs, so if I go through with this cheapy $29 upgrade, there's no going back.

Please advise.

13. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Just install over tiger, I've never had a problem with upgrading from tiger to snow leopard, but a backup is always a good idea anyway.

14. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

alright.....stopped by best buy this morning and bought it. I'll be installing this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

15. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ok. Install failed. It stated that it could not change settings on the hdd. I was installing on top of tiger, not doing a fresh install. Any advice?