Jumping off the iPhone bandwagon. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tweaks, Aug 25, 2008.

1. tweaks macrumors regular

Ok so I have got a 2g and a 3g iphone and i think that the plans are just unreasonable.

I have decided to possibly sell the iphones that i do have and just get the plain jane phones, and get ipod touches....but.........my phone has got to have the teathering capability with it. Does anybody have any recommendations (phones) for me? It will be for OS X.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Care to be more specific as to your needs since tethering is most definitely not a plain phone feature. Additionally, if you're complaining about the phone plan, it won't be much different if you have tethering as a requirement.

3. djchiena macrumors newbie

4. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

If you need a GSM phone check out the Freerunner from OpenMoko.

5. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

If you're with AT&T, and I am assuming that you are, the tethering plans are rather expensive. If you decide on a blackberry, then the blackberry data plan with tethering is $65 a month. That is in addition to your voice plan. Also the plan is not unlimited, has a 5 GB cap. The plan is the same with any PDA with the exception of the iPhone on AT&T. Tethering is not supported on a non-PDA device.

6. tweaks thread starter macrumors regular

Great thanks for your answers.

I have decided that the savings werent that great. I have decided to stick with the current plans that i have.

Thanks a bunch!!

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yeah, even though many think the iPhone plans are expensive they really aren't anymore expensive than any other smartphone plans on at&t.

8. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

I have thought about jumping off the iPhone 3G bandwagon as well recently...with the performance issues and at&t screwing up my bill.

But, I figured the iPhone really is sill in the beta testing faze, and we are all really still beta testing the phone. So, it might be better in the future so I decided to stay on the bandwagon, hold onto the side railings with BOTH hands, and ride it out.......:rolleyes:

9. Tres macrumors regular

Or optionally he could just stab himself in the testicles repeatedly. It would probably be less painful.

I have never, ever seen someone seriously suggest the Freerunner because it is a horribly broken pile of ****. The software is so unstable that even using it for phonecalls is questionable. The soft keyboard is broken, the formfactor is terrible and it doesn't even have edge for the internet, let alone 3g.

I'm all for opensource but the freerunner is like every bad thing about opensource projects rolled into one gigantic piece of crap.

10. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

dude, tell us what you really think

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True. Shortly after I got my iPhone, my wife got a Blackberry Pearl. The data rates were more expensive than the iPhone rates.

12. icewing macrumors 6502

R O T F L M A O - "That's funny, I don't care WHO ya are..." Thanks for a good belly laugh!

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You tell 'em Maddox!

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the iPhone technically has a 5gb cap
    you can go over but if you do they start watching more closley

15. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

Netshare gives you tethering with the Iphone..HA HA HA HA

16. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

buy an unlocked nokia (n78 is $369 at amazon) and use it with the $15 unlimited medianet plan and tether away