Jumping Ship from sprint family plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natesac, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I have had the same phone number since the year 2000. It is on a sprint family plan and mine is one of the "added lines". I plan to get the 3g iphone on day one.

I will want to use my current number, can I still do this online with itunes or will I need to activate at an AT&T store? I planned to go there to pick the phone up since it is closer than the applestore.

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

request the PAC code for ur sprint number. this is a code needed to move your number to a different sim...
    only 1 way to activate (thru itunes..)
    itunes will give u option to keep ur same no from different carrier
    easy process - best luck :D

3. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Thank you for the quick response. I will look into that.
    I can't wait.

4. Fireman52SFD macrumors member

I ported mine from alltel and all you do is when you connect your new iphone to itunes it will walk you through and then ask if you want to port your number from another carrier and click yes. it is VERY easy and it only took like 5min for my iphone to work. there is a video of it on apple website. it also does not affect your other sprint lines just cancels the one you have. you may have your early termination fee though. Good luck

5. elbirth macrumors 65816

I'm in a similar situation as you and will be moving over from Sprint. My issue, however, is that I bought a new phone in January of last year right after the iPhone announcement (I needed a new phone but was waiting for the 2nd gen iPhone and didn't think it'd only be a year before it came out after the first).

I want to keep my number if possible, but don't want to pay a termination fee. I'm one of the added lines on my family plan, so you would think it'd be easy to get rid of one of those in comparison to a single line or the main line on the plan.

My dad not too long ago switched a cell phone from Alltel to our Sprint plan and was able to keep the number without any problems, and I'm pretty sure its contract wasn't up. I'd love it if there was some way to do that in my situation in moving to AT&T in the coming weeks/months

6. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

That was one question that goes unanswered. I dont know if there will be a termination fee because that family plan will still be active, just one line will be removed. The other phones are staying as they are untill the contract is up.

7. elbirth macrumors 65816

as I understand it, you get a $150 early termination fee *per line*, so we'll likely get charged for removing a line from the plan. watching the video on apple's site, it seems as though the process through iTunes will take care of everything for you, but you'll probably just end up seeing the charge show up on your Sprint bill for the termination... maybe we'll get lucky and it'll go through fee-free?

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

They will indeed charge you if you remove a line. I found out the hard way last summer. I gave Sprint a chance to make it right, since I have two other lines on the same plan. They refused, so I told them to make a note on my account that customer will be closing in June of 2008!

Also, make sure your number(s) are successfully ported before closing your Sprint account.

9. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Well everyone has to leave the cell phone family plan nest someday. That sucks that I might get stuck with another $150 charge for going iphone. I really hope there might some subsidy comming from AT&T

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Not sure what a PAC code is, but remember that Sprint does not use SIM cards, so don't get confused if you go looking for one in your old phone...

11. elbirth macrumors 65816

yeah, I'm really hoping a subsidy will be in place this go-round.... would be nice to have it to help cushion the blow of an early termination fee.

then again... I could just break down and get a new number since it's really only my family and maybe a dozen people that I'd have to update it with.... decisions, decisions...

12. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I have never considered just going with a new number. starting fresh, now I could be selective about who has the number. That could help out with avoiding the ex girlfriend AND a $150 charge.

I think the family is going to switch to AT&T after the sprint plan is up, but I cannot wait that long and I need my own plan anyway.

Damn, we have been with sprint for over 10 years.

13. Fireman52SFD macrumors member

You dont even have to call sprint when the port happens it automatically cancels the contract and you will see it on your bill. now after that maybe you can get a customer service rep who is not a prick and they can do away with that stupid early termination fee. it is possible verizon did it for me and i also always argue the activation fee and i havent paid the last two. just have to get the right rep. if one starts giving you crap just hang up and call back till you get a good one. they have complete discretion on those charges. also there is a bill before congress now to get rid of those fees. plus if i must say so myself i have had Sprint,Verizon,Alltel, Old Cingular(which was awful) and now At&t the service has made great progress. I travel alot and although alltel has the best service in my opinion att and verizon are neck and neck in my book. So good luck with the swap and dispute the charges nicely and you may be surprised at the outcome.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I've always wondered why none of the carriers have attempted a "We'll pay your early termination fee" marketing campaign to lure customers. I think millions would jump ship at that - and they could fanagle it as a discount on the first 3 months of service or something, to where no money actually changes hands.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Was in the same boat as you just about 4 years ago, and terminated the relationship with Sprint after 10 years of "bully tactics" by them. Sprint released (5) lines because two of the lines were moving to Kauai, Hawaii, and there was no coverage in that area. So, Sprint allowed all (5) lines to port numbers and it took all of 15 minutes to finish the task. Had only bad things to say about Sprint, but I'm over that bitterness stage. Welcome to the AT&T/iPhone Family when it happens. :cool:

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I like that line of thinking; sorta' like trading up for the 1st round draft pick during the NFL Draft. Or getting a new car for your starting junior guard at $C, oh wait, that's illegal. LOL :eek::eek:

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I've seen a regional MNVO do that before.

18. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

there is a sprint store litterally around the corner from where I live. I get dropped calls, and its a 50/50 crapshoot if you try to call me, as to wether or not I get a ring (no missed call, no voicemail. just an attempt at contacting me that i will never know about) never better than 3 bars when im out in the back yard. I am sooo ready to try AT&T. My area is solid covered in 3g and my uncle gets great AT&T service at my house.

19. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

I'm doing this too, only my family is switching from Sprint too. Our contract was up last month, we're just going month to month while waiting for the new iPhone so I can get one. Now, here's my question. If my parents go to AT&T, get their new phones, activate them at the store (cancelling the other plan if my mom keeps her number), will I lose the ability to transfer my current number to the iPhone since I'll be activating and porting the number later?

20. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

Switching is hard for me, because Sprint has great coverage here. Making it even more difficult is the fact that they're probably getting the HTC Touch Diamond in the fall.

But, that's how much I want the new iPhone.

21. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

sprint was the strongest of the carriers at my old place. sprint is awful at my current house

22. rayward macrumors 65816

The coolest part of activation is watching your old phone "die", as the bars disappear, and your iPhone come to life! Apple revolutionised the way people activate cell phones, and that fact gets lost in the mix.