Jumping spaces!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mpt-matthew, May 3, 2011.

1. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

Does anyone else have an issue that sometimes when you switch a space it jumps to another?
    It's really bugging me!:mad:

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Can you provide a little more detail? Such as, how you're switching spaces (keyboard shortcuts, mouse, etc), if there's any discernible pattern about what space it jumps to, what apps you have running that might be drawing attention to themselves?

jW

3. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Im switching using my keyboard (Cmd+arrow), I think it is something to do with switching to open applications (so i disabled it to see if it helps). Sometimes it would just keep jumping between them. It can happen with any 2 spaces. May be to do with Word 2011.

4. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, here is what happens.
    Lets say my active word window is in space 1, then in space 3 I have an inactive word window. If i move to space 3, it will jump to the active space 1. The only way to stop this is to quickly click on the inactive word window to activate it before it jumps. Then the reverse happens with space 1 jumping to space 3.
    :mad:

5. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

If you want to recreate this, you will need to open a new word window (new word doc). then open another and drag it to another space.
    Then go back to the original, open finder or something. Then use expose to switch back to word, then switch to the other word window, it should then jump back.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Ah. Word has been known to have issues with Spaces. They fixed one of the more significant issues, but if you're updated fully, then they probably missed another issue. All I can suggest to you is simply not to place Word docs in different spaces. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but I doubt there's another solution at this point.

jW

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Doesn't repeat for me. I'm running MS office 2008 fully updated, SL fully updated.

I have had issues with the MS office windows (especially Entourage) doing retarded things using multiple monitors.

8. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

I am using two monitors, but it still happens when I just have one.

I tried a restart, this helped for a bit, but now its doing it again.

It also sometimes gets stuck in a cycle.
    It seems that it flips away from the space just after it has give then command to activate the window, then when it gets the the other window that window is no longer active - flips back, and activates the window in the space it just jumped away from.

Is there anywhere where i can report this bug to apple or Microsoft.