Jumping to 32gb... where to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brock2621, May 31, 2010.

1. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

So... I've reached the limit of my poor 12gb of ram. I simply cannot render things in 4k without memory errors anymore. With my upgrade to CS5, a true 64-bit AE, I think i'm going to make the $1k investment and make the jump to 32gb. Could I have some suggestions for the best place to buy?

OWC? I they legit enough on ram? Makes me worry when they say they want to buy your OLD ram... how do i know if they just aren't re-stickering OTHER ppls ram and selling them to me?

I would appreciate any help :) Thanks a ton guys! Love these forums!

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I find transintl.com the best. Never failed me and reasonably priced.

3. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Cool cool... I've never dealt with them but just checked them out. They seem reasonable. Can anyone else speak for them?

4. strausd macrumors 68030

From all I have heard, OWC is fine. Their prices are good and their RAM seems to work. I have also tried Crucial and they work great as well. The bad thing about Crucial now is that their RAM is becoming over priced. I would suggest OWC.

5. hyram macrumors regular

I've got OWC RAM (4x 4GB) and it has worked flawlessly. It's a little more than you would pay at a discount place, but I would trust them more than more.

I think this is more of a marketing gimick just to get you to buy thier stuff. I't more likely to end up on ebay than be repackaged... mostly because people will only trade in the small stuff that they would have difficult time re-selling.

6. Fomaphone macrumors regular

overstock.com is where it's at. I got Kingston ValueRAM (which comes with a similar warranty to OWC's) for $32.50/GB compared to OWC's $37.50.

it works like a charm.

7. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Can you give me a link to your modules? Also, I have a Mac Pro 4.1 (2009) model. How can I find compatibility?

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you got to the kingston or crucial web sites they will have RAM scanning tools to tell you what's in your machine and what's needed = they will guarantee compatibility with these models of RAM for you also...

9. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Bought 16Gb for my 2008 macpro the day it came out (in australia)

haven't had any problems