Jumping video in OS X...?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smilinmonki666, Feb 17, 2009.

1. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have an iMac 24", 2.8 dual core, 2Gb Ram & 254Gb left of 297Gb of HDD. Good spec I thought. However, when importing a CD to iTunes to Apple Lossless whilst watching a video file, the video file struggles to play smoothly.

Any solutions to this, apart from doing one at a time?

2. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I don't know if it is possible but you could try using the "nice" command on iTunes and then use a program like VLC to watch the movie. Of course it is going to take longer to do the encode.

It could be an IO problem, try copying the movie you want to watch to a firewire drive and then play the movie while encoding the CD to the internal disk.

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You didn't really provide that much information... What format is the video file in? What bitrate? Resolution? Is it on the same drive that you're saving the imported files to?

Lots of factors can come into play in the scenario you described.

If it's just a low-res XviD clip then something's amiss. If, on the other hand, you're trying to play back a 5mbit/s 1080p H.264 rip from the same drive that you're importing to... well... that would make more sense.

4. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, The movie is playing from the desktop & was a video file from a CD single & is an old .mov file. Avg 400x200 resolution & avg 2500 Bit Rate.

The CD is being encoded to Apple Lossless to an external USB drive. It also happens watching the film from the same drive the audio is being encoded too.

I understand that the system can only withstand so much I think using such low resource's for 2 simple jobs (With understanding of lossless encoding) it shouldn't struggle. It's also slowing on the scrolling through of the iTunes library in the Music tab??

Thinking to go from standard 2x1Gb Ram to 2x2Gb Ram? But think £40-ish is a bit over the top to over come this.

No Other .apps running
    No large process running in the back ground

Puzzled!?! :eek::(:confused:

5. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I would almost bet that you are bottleneck'ing at the USB level.

This isn't a CPU issue or Ram issue. Copy the Movie to the internal HD and play it and try again to encode to the external disk and see if you still have the jitter.

Your only other option is to slow down the encode so the system isn't trying to stuff so much data on to the USB bus.

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Bingo. USB sucks for sustained transfers, and if you've got a heavy load on the bus performance is going to suck (not to mention that CPU usage will be much higher than with, say, Firewire).

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

1. Quicktime (used by iTunes) is a pretty weak video playback app.
    2. Apple lossless encoding is somewhat demanding on the processor.

Try launching Activity Monitor and see how cpu usage does with each running alone, and both running concurrently. You'll see where the problem lies.

8. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys, I'll have a look into it later today.

I'll let you know the outcome. I have a FW HDD so will have a play with that too.