Jumpy erratic mouse behavior in VMWare Fusion under Lion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by danny_w, Oct 7, 2011.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I have a major issue with VMWare on Lion (only); The mouse pointer when in the VM window (WinXP is installed but I think any OS does the same thing) sometimes works OK but mostly does weird things, such as jumping when I move the mouse (especially at the edges of the window) and the selection area is far off from the end of the arrow, making selection extremely difficult. I saw one reference to this on the Apple forums but there was no reply. I have also installed VMWare and WinXP on my older iMac under SL and do not have these issues. Is this problem unique to Lion? Is there a fix? I am just about ready to attempt reverting my new 2011 MBP (which came with Lion) back to SL. I am just getting too frustrated with Lion and wish for the comfort that was SL. Sigh.

NOTE: The problems I am having are at work. The MBP is a work machine but we must provide most of our own support if we get a Mac. I am not about to upgrade to Lion at home until some of the issues are fixed.

2. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I think for now I have decided to junk Fusion and use VirtualBox. A colleague at work uses it every day with no issues. That is more than I can say for VMWare at this point. Maybe I'll give it another try later.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I finally found this issue in the VMWAre Communities and found the fix for this bug. This will occur if you have the mouse magnification set above 'normal' in Universal Access. When I changed this setting back to 'normal' the Windows cursor in VMWare started acting normally.