Jumpy Mouse Cursor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TWO2SEVEN, Apr 22, 2014.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I recently got a used 2011 MBP. I noticed that after a little bit out usage the mouse cursor become a little erratic. I do not think that is the trackpad because it happens when I use the Magic Mouse as well. It seems to happen more on battery power than when plugged in.

Any ideas?

2. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

A flakey trackpad could affect any the operation of the external mouse/trackpad. The CPU is getting inputs from both.

Otherwise perhaps a process is hogging resources. What does activity monitor say?

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

The battery isn't expanding beneath the trackpad is it.

Barney

5. velvetlounger macrumors member

velvetlounger

This just happened to me yesterday. I found that my power supply is the culprit.

My battery was completely drained. I plugged it in and started using the computer. I noticed that the mouse would jump around even if I just placed my finger on the touchpad. If I also touched the body of the computer the jumping would stop.

When I unplugged the power supply everything worked normal. It was then that I felt my powerbrick was too hot to touch. After the battery was charged and the powerbrick had cooled down the problem went away.

I bought my laptop refurbished from Gainsaver. Its possible they gave me a non Apple powerbrick or perhaps its just faulty.

6. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I think you can tell if it is a genuine PSU by watching the LED on the magsafe.
    When you connect the magsafe it should be green for a second or so before going to amber (this is if the battery needs some charge). It is a safety feature of the magsafe so it doesn't supply power until it knows it is correctly connected.

Barney