Jumpy mouse, help me diagnose please!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by upaymeifixit, Sep 26, 2010.

1. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I built a Hackintosh a while ago, and it's had this problem since I built it. The curser seems to randomly accelerate/jump while moving the mouse as steady as possible across the screen. Here is a list of things that may help diagnose the problem.

• Happens with USB mouse, or my MagicMouse.
    • Everything works fine in Windows.
    • It only seems to happen in horizontal movements, never vertical.
    • I've used several different mouse pads, no change.

I think that's it. I don't really think it has anything to do with it being a hackintosh, but I will start up using the Snow Leopard Disk to see if the problem is still there.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

2. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

u could go to systm prefs and see the mouse tracking speed. sometime if to high could act up on u

3. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It is on the highest setting, and then I use BetterTouchTool to set a higher mouse speed (13.10). The faster the speed the more violent the acceleration, but I won't use it on a slow speed.

4. temiller macrumors member

I was having the same issue on my windows PC. I was using a wireless mouse, on a metal desk/glass desk. I first thought it was the batteries, then the metal on the desk was giving some sort of interference. I was told the mouse pad, so I got a new one. Didn't work. Went through 5 different ones.

I eventually stumbled upon a flat black mouse pad, and the issue is fine though. I know you stated you went tried different mouse pads, but have you tried a flat black, non shiny one yet?

5. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I've only used the current one (fabric) I have, a piece of paper, and my MacBook Air lid. If it were the mouse pad then wouldn't I have this problem in Windows too? Wouldn't it lag vertically still?

6. temiller macrumors member

Oh, I mis-read that everything works in windows.